Chapter 17

Nami struggled to watch her mother crumble before her. In the time since Korra's passing, Asami's life has dulled down. Asami could barely work on her inventions anymore, finally passing her CEO status to her youngest daughter. Nami had thought it would be a happy moment for her mother to finally retire, but no one had expected things to go like this. Currently, Asami was blankly staring at blueprints, unable to compute a solution to a recent invention by the two of them. Nami watched momentarily from the doorway of her home office. She couldn't stand seeing her mother like this, but what could she do. Asami's grief was strong. 

"What the hell happened to you two?!" Hikari exclaimed when Riko and Tadashi returned from the mainland. The young lady has been training in the courtyard when the duo arrived.

"Shh! Don't go yelling about it!" Riko whispered to her niece. "We ran into a little... well, serious problem, actually. I need to talk to everyone."

Hikari gaped at her for a few seconds, eyeing her bloody, bandaged shoulder. "I'll go find everyone. It's almost lunchtime anyway." The girl then ran inside to find their family members.

Karina and Olivia had very similar reactions to seeing the duo. Riko shrugged at their worry and set their bags at the entrance. "What happened?!" Karina yelled.

Riko chuckled. "You know, you're the third person to ask us that."

"Oh, here you all are." Hikari said as she reappeared with Nami. Nami did a double-take when she saw Riko.

"Let's all just sit at the table and talk. I found out some important info." Riko said and walked in the direction of the dining hall.

"Grandma," Tadashi started. Riko paused and looked back at him expectantly. "You should let Gran-Gran take a look at your wound."

Riko blinked at the boy's concern. Then she looked to her wife, who was gently smiling. "I think you're right, sweetie." Karina replied, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Why don't you escort her to the dining room and I'll join you with some medical supplies."

Tadashi smiled and grabbed Riko's hand as they walked away. 

Karina carefully examined Riko's shoulder as the Chief talked. "We were on our way back from the apartment when a group of thugs appeared from the crowd. We were fine, I swear, until their leader appeared. I knew, from the moment I looked him in the eye, that this was the guy that attacked Korra. He confirmed that they're after all of us, not just Tadashi. But we already knew that from the bomber. It was one of the last things he said that really has me worried..."

Everyone waited for her to continue. Karina was listening carefully as she prodded her wife's wound. It was pretty serious, but the EMT's had done a good job at cleaning it up. Looks like she taught those healers something after all.

Riko sighed. "He said that Tadashi's father would be happy to hear that his son is firebending. He might not be involved, but after all of his incidents lately I wouldn't be surprised if he had something to do with all of this."

"Kenji? Oh, the next time I see him it's going to go down. I'm getting tired of him popping up." Olivia steamed.

"Everyone needs to be careful. If Kenji is involved, then the enemy has extra intel on us." Karina chimed in, wanting to remain rational. Olivia scowled.

"Why would my father want to hurt us?" Tadashi asked innocently. He understood that his father wasn't around like normal fathers, but what did he have to gain in this?

Olivia started to frown. "I guess he's bitter about our separation. Honestly, that's the only thing I can think of, hun. He refused to settle down and make a life with us, so we split up."