Chapter 4: Loves me, Loves me not...

----------------------------------------

Meanwhile the elders were having a serious discussion.

“Ravel, we have to let them go,” Ghastly reasoned. “It’s not fair to hold them against something they can’t control.”

“Yes, but Vile is a mass murderer and Darquesse is most likely going to destroy the world one day, do you think they can be in control when their conscience decide that?” Ravel questioned.

“Look Ravel, Skulduggery has been Lord Vile for nearly 400 years now, I’m pretty sure they can handle it. And Skulduggery would help Valkyrie if she ever submitted to being Darquesse.”

“Elder Bespoke does have a point,” Madame Mist suddenly spoke up. “I am confident that Skulduggery would... dispose of Darquesse should the need ever arise.”

“DISPOSE?!? You think Skulduggery, of all people, would happily go along and shoot Valkyrie if Darquesse took over?!” Ghastly shouted at her, “And Darquesse is a living human now! So it’s not Valkyrie’s fault!! We should just let them go!”

“But...” Ravel started.

“Damn it Ravel, just let them go!!” Ghastly shouted angrily as he strode towards the door.

----------------------------------------

Oh crap, Valkyrie thought, this is going to be awkward. Stuck in a cell with him...

"Val?" Skulduggery asked a quizzical look on his face. "You ok?"

Happy face Valkyrie, "Yeah I'm great," Valkyrie answered bubbly.

"Uh ok," Skulduggery replied, clearly not buying her enthusiasm.

“So,” she asked, “how’ve things been?”

“Um, as good as they can in a cell,” Skulduggery replied looking away.

“Oh.”

An awkward silence followed. “You’re looking better though,” Skulduggery said, nodding towards where her wound was.

“Oh... yes,” she answered, looking down at the floor.

“Val...” Skulduggery started. Oh just looking at him gave her butterflies, wait why am I feeling like this? Valkyrie thought, Unless... Oh crap. I need to see Tanith.

“I...” Skulduggery continued, but just then the door of the cold cell burst open and light streamed through. Skulduggery and Valkyrie peered around to see who had come in. They were surprised to see Erskine Ravel, Madame Mist and Ghastly.

“Skulduggery Pleasant and Valkyrie Cain, you are hereby free from arrest and may continue your duties as Sanctuary Detectives,” said Ravel. Ghastly had his arms crossed and was glaring at Ravel. Madame Mist just stood there. “Cleavers, remove their shackles.”

Two Cleavers came in and undid their shackles that were holding them to the wall. They both massaged their raw, rubbed wrists. “You are to continue your search for Valkyrie’s reflection and... Darquesse,” Ravel managed to say. The elders turned and walked away. Ghastly threw Skulduggery a look saying, We need to talk, NOW. Skulduggery nodded and turned and walked the opposite way with Valkyrie.

“Um Skulduggery, the exit is the other way,” Valkyrie said, pointing to the direction the elders had took.

“Yeah, but I don’t really feel like talking to them and I don’t think we’re their favourite people right now,” Skulduggery explained as they turned corner after corner, taking the long way back to the exit.