Chapter 6: Running

Valkyrie’s P.O.V

I ran. I ran, just like the coward I was. I couldn’t face him. I just had to get away. As I ran away through the forest, I pulled out my phone and punched in the number for the one person who could help me.

“Hello?” the voice answered.

“Fletcher, it’s Valkyrie, I need your help,” I sobbed into the phone, still running.

“What? What happened?” Fletcher replied.

“Can you please teleport over here? I’m by the cliffs past the pier.”

“Sure, be right there.” The line crackled as Fletcher teleported over and the line went dead. Valkyrie dropped the phone and sank to the ground her head in her hands as Fletcher rushed over.

“Val? Val? What’s wrong?” he asked as he picked her off the ground, feeling her go limp in his arms.

“Fletcher I need to get away, somewhere, anywhere,” she pleaded, the tears running down her cheeks.

“Ok, uh where?”

“I dunno, um... Australia,” Valkyrie decided.

“Really?” Fletcher asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes,” she said confidently standing straighter.

Skulduggery’s P.O.V

I just had to reach her. I ran in the general direction she had taken, seeing the new footprints in the sludgy mud the rain had made. I ran straight past the dock and came out to the cliffs not too far from the pier.  I saw them instantly as the fog wasn’t as heavy here. Valkyrie was standing about 20m away and Fletcher was with her.

“Val!” I shouted and started running towards them. She immediately grabbed Fletcher’s arm and then they were gone. And I was so close. I slowed down.

“Val?” I came to a stop and sank to my knees. She could be anywhere by now. I had lost her. For good.