Chapter 8: Where is she?

"Fletcher," Skulduggery leaned over the interrogation table, in the interview room, the stark light bulb still hanging, just. "Where is she?"

"Don't know what you mean," Fletcher mumbled.

"Oh come on, I saw you teleport her somewhere in Australia. So where is she now?"

"I DON'T KNOW."

"Really? I don't believe you."

"Yes, I went back to where I left her in Sydney and she wasn't there."

"Damn."

Skulduggery's fists curled up on the table. "You can go now Fletcher." And the teleporter was immediately gone.

Ghastly and Tanith walked into the room. "Don't worry Skul, we'll find her," assured Ghastly.

"I sure hope so."

-------------------------------

Valkyrie was stiff and sore and hey lagged. That's what a 15 hour flight does to you, stupid, she thought. But Valkyrie knew what she was here for and didn't stop to think about anything else... Or him.

She had managed to get a hold of China again, and she had told her that Darquesse and the reflection had moved their location to Phoenix. So she hopped on another plane and finally found herself in the supposed location of her inner self.

She followed the clues just like... He... Had taught her, and came across an abandoned warehouse. She pushed the dilapidated, rusted iron door aside and strode into the building bracing herself for who knows what.

"Valkyrie! So good to see you again!" A voice, her voice, called out.

"Well, you know, I do like a good chat sometimes..." She replied. The reflection walked into view from behind an old pickup truck.

"I'm sure, and you came to Phoenix to find one?"

"Well no, I came here to kick your butt and put you in prison to be honest."

"Well that's not nice is it? The skeleton has shown you one too many of his evil ways I think."

Valkyrie stiffened. "Can I punch you now or are you going to keep talking because it is highly annoying."

"Oh look! How precious! You even talk like him now!" The reflection laughed, crossing her arms.

"I DO NOT TALK LIKE HIM."

"Oh honey, you got it bad for him, or should I say we have it bad for him?" The reflection sneered.

"SHUT UP."

"No...ah!" The reflection cried out as Valkyrie's knuckles collided with her face.

"I got sick of you talking," Valkyrie replied as she stood over the reflection, her arms crossed, while the reflection held her hand against he swollen cheek.

"You know," Valkyrie began, crouching down, "I thought you couldn't feel pain? So why are you clutching that cheek like its hurt you?" She asked, knowing perfectly well how she could feel pain.

"You know why," the reflection hissed through clenched teeth, where two teeth were missing, Valkyrie noted proudly.

"Well, it's going to be fun kicking your butt then isn't it?"

"You wouldn't!"

"Hell yeah, I would."

Valkyrie picked the reflection off the ground and flipped her over her hip where she smacked the ground so hard she could hear the reflection's bones breaking. She picked the reflection back off the ground and slammed her into the pickup truck, smashing her head through the windscreen. The reflection cried out in pain as tiny shards of glass rained down everywhere. Valkyrie grinned.

"Hurts doesn't it?" She smirked. The reflection whimpered. Valkyrie laughed. "Yeah I know the feeling."

She slammed the reflection onto the hood of the truck again and pulled out a pair of handcuffs. "Miss reflection of me," she started, "You are under arrest," she finished clicking the cuffs into place. "Back to Ireland now!" She said happily, and pulled out her phone.

Fletcher's POV

His phone started ringing his awesome ringtone of 'Call Me Maybe' specially reserved for... Val??

"Hi?" He answered as he picked up the phone.

"Fletcher, hey, have you been to Phoenix before?" Valkyrie answered bluntly.

"Yeah, but why the hell are you there? Everyone's worried sick about you! Tanith, Ghastly and.... Skulduggery..." The phone line stayed silent. "Heck, even China's worried!"

This earned him a small laugh from Valkyrie. "Well the situation must be dire then!" she answered.

"Valkyrie..." I warned, I knew she was avoiding the topic.

"Fletcher..." she mocked me. There was the Valkyrie I knew. "Look I have myself under arrest and I need you to come and take me back to Ireland ok?"

"Ok, on my way," the line crackled as our connection was lost as I teleported. I found myself behind an old abandoned warehouse and quickly sent a text to Skulduggery.

To: Skulduggery

Got Val. B at Sanctry soon.

I called Valkyrie again. "Where are you?"

"In an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of town."

"Does it happen to be blue?" I asked looking at the building I was standing behind.

"Uh, yeah?"

"Hello then."

Skulduggery's POV

I felt my phone vibrate in my jacket pocket. I grabbed it and saw the two words that made my non existent heart stop. Got Val.

"Ghastly, Tanith we need to be at the Sanctuary now!"