Chapter 04

I let out a breath of relief when I put back her diary safely.

"Maddy! Where were you?" I asked, walking towards her.

She dropped a new set of bed sheets on her chair. And started to remove her old bedsheets angrily.

"Can you believe it?!" she hissed, "I found Nick and that bitch Brittany on my bed half naked" she spat out their names like venom, "I came in just in time" she breathed, "Those two.." she gritted her teeth, "If I find them again" she ripped out the sheets, "Disgusting!" She threw them on the floor and kicked the pile. 

I watched as Maddy put on her new sheets mumbling to herself and cursing Nick and Brittany for the hundredth time. After she was done, she placed her hands on her hips and let out a deep breath, clearly satisfied about her Nick's and Brittany's germs free bed sheets.

As if she suddenly remembered something, her eyes snapped into mine, "what were you doing here, Alex?" she asked, "were you looking for me?"

"Yes!" I did look for her!, "I wanted to give you your present" I said, handing Maddy her birthday gift, "Happy Birthday!!!" I kissed her cheek.

"Wow!" she cried, "It's beautiful, Alex! Thank you!" she said, pecking my lips.

"Here, let me help you'' I took the necklace from her hand and put it around her neck. She stood in front of the mirror admiring and caressing the necklace.

"I will never take it off," Maddy said, hugging me and she looked into my eyes.

I leaned in for a kiss but a loud crashing sound interrupted us and Maddy pulled away startled.

"Oh my God! What did they do this time?" She tried to walk out but I stopped her.

"I'll go and check. You stay here!"

"Okay!" She agreed, "Can you send everyone home, please?" she asked me, "I think I'm done for the day. Are you staying?"

"Yes, I'm exhausted" I said, "I don't want to drive back home like this. Plus you'll need my help tomorrow for clean up"

"Okay, that's great!" she clapped excitedly, "You can use my washroom. I'm going to have a good and relaxing bath in the other washroom. Or...would you like to join me? You know the tub is big enough for two" she winked.

Maddy's relaxing bath usually takes more than twenty minutes. Even though I felt guilty and ashamed, my curiosity to find out what she wrote about Megan, took the best of me.

"No, I'll pass. I want to get to bed quickly" I blurted out.

Maddy pouted, "okay then"

Without another word she barged into her closet while I walked out to find out what happened.

Two guys from our school were fighting with each other and they were destroying everything on their way. I pulled them apart with the help of others and sent them home, cursing for the mess they had created in the living room. Others also left since nobody wasn't in a mood to continue the party, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I walked back as fast as I could, heart hammering in my chest and feeling slightly dizzy. What I was about to do was not a good thing and my consciousness screamed at me for betraying Maddy. But I reasoned with it saying, I had to find out Maddy's and Megan's secret for their own good. I would be able to end their hatred towards each other so they both could be happy.

I opened Maddy's diary again and started to read it.

June 10th

I don't think I can do this anymore. Megan has to be gone!