Chapter 10

The first thing I saw inside Brittany's file was photos of her dead body when they found her in the woods.

I closed the file taking a sharp breath in. I wasn't ready to see anything like that and I felt like throwing up. I closed my eyes, rubbing my forehead. Would I be able to do this?

But soon it started to disappear when memories of Brittany ran through my mind. I felt sympathy towards her and I wouldn't wish this kind of cruel death even on my enemy.

I took a deep breath in. If I want to find out anything from these files I need to keep my mind clear and strong.

With that thought I opened the file again and took a closer look at the photos.

Brittany was lying on her back while her whole body was covered in dirt and blood. And from the look of it she had struggled against the murderer to save her from getting stab. With the blood that covered her body I couldn't see stab marks clearly, but there was one stab mark on her neck and if I guessed correctly that would have been the one which decided her fate.

I moved on to the next one quickly. Her Autopsy report.

There was an envelope full of photos of her naked dead body. They were from when they examined her body to decide her cause of death and possible clues which could lead to the murderer.

I put them away. Even though she was dead I didn't want to see those photos. I wanted to respect her by not looking at them and it would be my way of apologising to her for her loss.

I took a photo of her autopsy report from my phone and I started to read it again.

There was no sign of attempt rape. She had five stab marks on her chest. Three on her lower abdomen. Two on her left thigh. Four on her arms and one on her neck. The four wounds on her arms described as defensive wounds and three on her chest and two on her abdomen were after she was dead. Few stab marks did damage the organs but one went through her heart and the one on her neck took her life.

A sudden dizziness washed over me. How could someone go through something like that? I couldn't even imagine the pain and fear she felt when she got attacked.

I shook my head. No, no! Don't think about it.

I continued reading the autopsy report which was a few pages long. In there it mentioned that the weapon was a kitchen knife and from the angle it went through the attacker was nearly the same height as Brittany.

A shudder went through my body. Maddy was the same height as Brittany!

I put it aside and went through other documents in that file. I found Richard's notes when they came to question the students. Maddy's name was in the front and I read what he had written under her name.

'Madison was with Vera and Justin when Brittany was attacked. Confirmed with other two'

What?! So did Justin lie to me? No! I wasn't going to believe it. I was sure they both were covering for Maddy. But why?

I closed Brittany's file and moved on to the other one. Levi's file!

I opened it quickly and winced when I saw photos of his condition. His head was bandaged and he was lying on the hospital bed unconscious. I put photos away since they were not going to give me any clues.

I moved on to the doctor's report.

The doctor had mentioned his condition as critical. Several hits to his head made him lose a lot of blood and he was already unconscious when they found him and brought him to the hospital. They found alcohol in his system and some drugs.