Chapter 35

I thought I might have misheard it.

"What?" I laughed awkwardly, "I think I heard it wrong. You said Vera is the murderer. But it is wrong, isn't it? I heard it wrong" I muttered, shaking my head.

Richard gripped my shoulder making me look up at him.

He sighed, "Alex! calm down. You're in shock. Come, sit down for a minute" he made me sit down on the sofa and sat next to me, "it'll be alright. I know it's hard to believe but that is the truth" he gave me a glass of water.

I accepted the glass and kept it in my hand. So that time when I called they were running away. But why? Why would Vera do something like that?

"Alex!" Logan called me again, "what did he say when you called him last time?"

I sighed. I was exhausted mentally and physically, because of the things that were happening around us. When would this end?

"Alex!"

I leaned back, "I asked him whether he knew about finding Lyla's phone near Vera's house. He said he knew and would call me back later since he was going out of the town"

Logan and Richard shared a look and Richard went outside calling someone on his phone.

"And then?"

"Then he hung up. I called him again but he didn't pick up"

I put the back of my head on the sofa and closed my eyes. If Vera was the murderer then what about Megan? Did she really kill herself?

"They found him" Richard's voice made me jump onto my feet.

"Justin?! You found Justin?"

Richard nodded, "yes, we found him just outside the town" he confirmed, "but Vera is not with him. Do you know whether she was with him or not when you called him?" Richard asked.

That reminded me that I heard someone whispering to him. And when I asked he didn't reply. 

"No! I think he was alone. I didn't hear anybody talking in that car" I lied.

I knew Vera was the murderer and they needed to find her as soon as possible. But Justin was my friend and I didn't want him to get dragged into this just because he lied.

If anything it was Richard's and Logan's duty to find her. Justin was protecting her girlfriend just like I would, since he loved her so much. He might be trusting Vera's word above everything and he didn't know who to trust or from whom he should ask for help unlike me. I knew Dean would help me to get Maddy out of the jail and put her under treatment if something happened. That way Maddy would be safe. But for Vera she would get the highest punishment there was and thinking that could break Justin's heart made me worry about him. 

Logan and Richard left, giving me a final warning not to switch off my phone on purpose. I knew it was there because they worried about me, but they knew who the murderer was and I didn't see any use of it.

After they had gone I came back to my room and called Officer Leroy. I needed to find out about what was happening in the station since they brought in Justin. And also I wanted to find out what kind of evidence they had found.

"Hello!" Officer Leroy's voice came through the line.

"Officer Leroy, it's Alex"

"Alex!" he paused, "why are you calling me?" he whispered.

"I need a favour-"

"Now is not a good time. They are questioning Justin and officers are impatient because he refused to cooperate"