Chapter 11

"Why don't you suspect Megan?" I asked Richard even though I knew it was a stupid question.

"What?!" he raised his eyebrows.

"I said, why don't you suspect Megan? or anyone else?" I repeated the question, "I just wanted to know why you are only after her?"

Richard looked at me like I had said the most absurd thing.

"Are you thinking clearly, Alex?" he questioned, "Megan? Do you want us to suspect someone that has nothing to do with Brittany? Megan is the last one we could think of as the murderer. She doesn't have any motives or anything that we could believe she did that"

He fell silent as he pondered on his own thoughts, "why?.... Why did you ask that? Is there something you didn't tell me? Or is there a reason why you suspect her?"

"No!" I was quick to cut him off before he went in that direction, "I was just asking nothing else" I said walking away.

I didn't think Megan killed Brittany. Or Megan had anything to do with that.

I was just going around in circles since I didn't want to let Richard's words get into my head. If anything I wanted them to suspect someone else and prove to me that I was right, that the killer was someone else and Maddy was innocent.

Megan was the first name that came into my mind because of the recent events that happened earlier that day. I didn't feel guilty giving away her name but at the same time I didn't want them to suspect her because of what I said.

Richard left the house after that, leaving me all alone in our empty house with most absurd and haunting thoughts running through my mind. I sighed for the nth time wishing this nightmare to end so soon. So I could go back to being normal and hang out with Maddy like these things never happened in the first place.

I wanted to talk to Maddy and asked her to come to me or If I can go back to her house. But I wasn't ready to face Maddy yet, not after what Richard told me.

I turned on the TV hoping it would be a perfect distraction and stared at it blankly while the voices of the characters echoed through our empty house. Suddenly the doorbell rang making me break out of my trance. I wasn't expecting anyone and everybody in our family had a key. So who could be here at this time? It was already twenty minutes past eight at night.

I walked towards the window next to our front door and moved the curtain away slightly so I could see who was standing in front of the house. I was surprised to see the person there and swung open the door startling her.

"Maddy!" I couldn't hide my excitement and she noticed it too.

"Alex!" She smiled, her voice low and seductive.

She walked towards me and put her arms around my neck pressing herself more into my body. I quickly put my arms around her back welcoming her warm embrace greedily. I didn't think I would miss her this much.

"You are alone?"

"Mm hm"

"You are not going to invite me inside?" her eyes glinted mischievously and she bit her lip.

I almost forgot all the things that were in my head when she did that, but they soon came crashing back making me take a step back from her embrace. As much as I wanted to kiss her and forget all things that were happening around us, Richard's words rang in my head. And since she was here already I decided it would be best if I ask her directly.

"Maddy!" she snapped her head up looking into my eyes, "I want to talk to you" I said grabbing her hand and leading her inside the house.

But as soon as I closed the door she pushed me against it and started to kiss me like there was no tomorrow. Her kiss was rough and needy. And it made me forget everything and soon I gave in kissing her back.

The kiss we were sharing became more intense and I lifted her up walking back to the living room while she placed small kisses along my neck. I sat on the couch with her on my lap and she straddled me not wasting another second as she put her lips on mine again. 

I broke the kiss and started to kiss along her neck making Maddy moan softly pulling my head towards her skin.

"Oh! you're so good, Alex!" she moaned in between her heavy breaths.

I continued to torture her skin placing kisses along her neck and then bit her shoulder lightly remembering how she liked it. But I must have bitten her shoulder too hard. Because the next second Maddy hissed loudly and yanked my head back making me look up into her angry eyes.

I winced in pain as she grabbed onto my hair too tightly and she held my head in place making my movements stilled. She looked at my exposed neck and I shivered when I saw the dark cold look in her eyes. I opened my mouth to say something but Maddy beat me to it.

"Alexander Russell! You should be punished"

With that I saw her hand moving back and the next second the sound of the glass shattering reached our ears making us jump out of the couch instantly. Alarm went off and I covered my ears, running towards the front door where the sound came from.

The window near the door had broken into a million pieces and among those tiny glass pieces was a large rock which I recognised as a decorative stone from our garden. Someone had thrown it in but when I checked the area there was no sign of anybody.

I turned back to talk to Maddy and that was when I noticed that she had not followed me here. I ran back to the living room thinking she could be in danger. But I stopped on the threshold when I saw Maddy standing near the window facing away from me.

She didn't hear me coming and I watched her as she stood there like she was looking at someone through our window. Goosebumps erupted all over my skin and I slowly walked towards her while keeping my eyes for any movements outside.

"Maddy!" I hissed, "what are you doing?"

Maddy turned around to face me with a knife in her hand and at the same time something moved in the shadows and I ran towards the front door again since I thought that person would try to enter through the broken window.

But no! Looked like that person had left since nobody tried to enter the house. So waiting after a good minute I punched the numbers in and switched off the alarm. When I sensed Maddy behind me I turned to face her.

"What are you doing with a knife? And how did you get one?" I eyed the knife in her hand.

Maddy watched me with a blank expression on her face. And then she let out a sigh like she was bored from all things that had happened.

"Did you expect me to go around unprepared after what happened to Brittany?" her tone was flat, "I'm going to go. I'll see you tomorrow"

"Wait!" I stopped her, "Let me take you. It's not safe"

"The only one who isn't safe is you, Alex," she laughed sarcastically, "Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself"

Even though her words hurt me I stayed silent. Maddy stepped out the door and I followed soon after. At least I could walk her to her car.

But before Maddy reached her car, another vehicle pulled in and we both stopped in our tracks watching two people getting out of it.

"Shit!" Maddy mumbled.

"Richard?!" I called his name surprised, "I thought you are not going to come home today"

Instead of answering my question Richard stomped towards me angrily. I stepped in front of Maddy and waited, until he released his wrath upon me even though I didn't have any idea what pissed him off.

He came towards me and grabbed my collar, "why the hell you didn't answer your phone or landline? Do you know how worried I was? I thought..." he trailed off, not wanting to finish his sentence.

I looked at him confused. His hair was messy like he had run his hand through it so many times. Also he wasn't wearing his coat and he had bread crumbs near his mouth with a bit of sauce smearing over his cheek. God! Did he run here because of the alarm?!

Richard let out a shaky breath and pushed me back releasing my collar. I adjusted it and looked at the other person who came with him. Logan?! 

Logan stepped in front of us looking at Maddy with an unreadable expression.

"We were worried Alex!" he looked at me, "somebody called and said you're in danger"