Chapter 21

"I thought they were going to come this weekend?" I slumped on my chair. There was no way out now!

"They were. But when Megan's autopsy report came, there was nothing else they could do other than close the case officially. So they are going to do it after her funeral and they will leave soon after" Mom said sadly, "So your father pushed the date up. We want to have one last dinner with Richard before he leaves." Mom sighed, "I don't know when I will be able to see him again. I miss him already" she sighed again, getting lost in her thoughts. 

So Richard was going to leave soon and I thought about what Mom said about my replaced memories. It might have been very hard on him when I acted like everything was his fault. But he had no choice other than to let me blame everything on him and he didn't say a word when I ignored his presence.

I sank onto my chair. If he was going to leave in three days that meant I had no time to spend more time with him. All I wanted to do was apologise to him and make up for the time we could have spent as brothers.

In the end I thought tomorrow's dinner would be my perfect opportunity. We could talk and I could apologise. If we could clear our misunderstanding he would try to come home as much as he could. And it would make Mom happy too.

I went to bed after wishing a Goodnight! to Mom. Tomorrow I have an important task to do and a well rested night might help me to clear my mind.

*************************

Mom dropped me near Dr. Scott's office and drove away to meet her friend who ran a coffee shop nearby. I looked at the tall building in front me which belonged to a famous medical group in the city.

After I told the receptionist that I was here to meet Dr. Scott, they sent me to the tenth floor and I waited in front of his office patiently until my name was called.

The door to his office swung open and a girl who looked to be my age stepped out. She thanked the doctor and closed the door behind before walking away with a relaxed expression on her face. Instantly she reminded me of Maddy and the reason why came here in the first place.

I didn't know if I could get the information out of him since Logan failed at it. But my chance was that I was Maddy's boyfriend and not a detective who wanted to arrest her for a crime.

My heart skipped a beat when the door opened again and I watched a man who looked to be in his late thirties stepped out.

"Alexander Russell!" He called my name.

I got up slowly with a nervous heart, but as soon as he saw me a warm smile brightened his face and it made me relax.

"Alex!" He shook my hand, "it's nice to see you again" he welcomed me inside.

I walked inside looking around in his office and was surprised by how it looked different than a normal office room. The room was not large but it was big enough for two people to walk around comfortably. The whole room was lit up from the sunshine that came through the big window and on its shelf were three healthy green plants. The vines of the Ivy plant had climbed up and it framed the window giving the room more of a greenery look. The wall next to it had shelves which were filled with various books and there were two chairs in front of it with a small white round table in the middle. There was a tissue box, a water jug and two glasses on it. The chairs had a little angle so you wouldn't face each other directly. He sat down on one chair with a notebook in his hand and gestured to me to sit down on the most comfortable chair in the room.

I accepted the offer without a hesitation and sank into the chair welcoming its comfort. For a few minutes we didn't talk and he watched me patiently with a smile on his face.