CHAPTER 10

"No matter the outcome, I'll still be proud of you."

Although his bold decision had shocked her initially, Madenna resolved to conceal her concern, perhaps due to Farren's firm determination. .

"I place my trust in you, so let's complete the task Mother has given us."

"Yes! Oh, come to think of it, you mentioned you were tired. I'm sorry to have held you back for so long. You should go back and get some rest."

"...it was just a passing remark – do you take note of everything I say?"

"You asked me to remember everything you say. That's why I did. I wouldn't disobey your requests."

"It's a bit eerie when you phrase it like that. I guess I'll have to watch what I say from now on."

"No, there's no need! Please, don't have any qualms about your words," Farren shook his head frantically. He seemed worried that Madenna would speak less because of him.

Although he was truly brilliant in some aspects, in situations like these, he was still naive.

Madenna realized she was gradually warming up to Farren, and she didn't hate the idea at all.

* * *

A few days later, as Luciola had arranged, the two set out for Retti Shire.

The merchandise was scheduled to arrive a few hours after their arrival, so before the goods arrived, they went to visit the site where the bridge collapsed.

Traveling to Retti Shire by carriage took them five days without stopping.

It was quite a long journey. Although spending the night at a village mid-way would be more comfortable, they were in a hurry.

Madenna, who had just arrived at the scene, sighed as soon as she checked the bridge's condition.

"It's worse than I thought."

The bridge's structure had collapsed entirely, leaving only its broken form by both of the ends.

New materials were piled up around the bridge for restoration work, and several workers were bustling around.

However, the river's water level had risen, so there was little to no progress made at the reconstruction site. The only headway Madenna could see was on the bridge's foundation.

"I heard it was a typhoon that caused the bridge to fall."

"It must have been a local downpour. I've heard that the damage inside the city isn't so dire. But, the bridge's legs are beyond repair..." Madenna sighed in frustration.

"It's not summer nor fall, it's unusual for a typhoon to come during this season."

"I agree, but we can't help it. The harm has already been done. Can you start repairing the bridge right away, Farren?"

"Yes, there's no problem."

Madenna and Farren, accompanied by their servants, approached the construction site. Among the busy workers checking the materials, a person spoke up.

"Who are you?"

"Someone should have already sent a telegram of my arrival in advance. I am Madenna Rodenherg."

"Oh! You've arrived," the man, who turned out to be the construction manager, bowed his head in courtesy.

But he sensed something was amiss and immediately spoke, "By the way... I was told that you're going to deliver merchandise to Retti Shire today. We will try to cooperate so that the construction won't hinder your transport."