CHAPTER 11

Madenna shook her head, "No, it just feels a bit strange. But even if it's really a mage's work, it won't matter for now since we don't know who did it."

"If that's the case, you don't need to worry. Since he left a trace of his magic, I might be able to find him as long as I can remember it."

"What do you mean?"

"Every mage leaves a unique pattern in their magic, similar to a fingerprint. Although much of the traces have been erased, if the mage who left the trail uses magic again, I'll be able to recognize them."

"I see. In that case, can you please keep a look out for him? If the vile mage who deliberately collapsed the bridge really does exist, he certainly wouldn't hesitate to harm us once more in the future."

"As you wish, miss." Farren answered immediately.

He straightened his back and invoked a new spell.

It seemed like he was looking into the remaining traces of magic.

Madenna turned around while silently wishing for the ominous feeling to dissipate. Farren had fulfilled his duties, so from here on, it was time for Madenna to finish the deal.

***

A few hours later, the merchandise arrived in an orderly row of carriages as scheduled. Madenna met the horsemen in front of the bridge.

"Miss, you want us to cross the bridge?"

The horsemen all looked at the magic ledge with a puzzled expression.

The bridge, which was made out of solidified water, seemed a bit frightening at first glance. The transparent material gave the impression of being made out of fragile glass.

"Yes, I can guarantee that there's no problem with the bridge. You can cross the river using the bridge as usual, and arrive at the city of Retti Shire."

"But... what is it made out of? I don't think it's glass. I've never seen or heard of a material like this."

"Yes, it's understandable that you have never seen it, since it's made by magic."

As soon as the coachmen heard her claim, a murmur spread among them. Their whispers were low enough for Madenna to be unable to listen, but some still caught her ears. "Is our employer out of her mind?" one of the coachmen muttered to his friend.

The head of the coachmen spoke to Madenna half-heartedly, "Miss, it's impossible to conjure a bridge with magic that we could pass on."

"You don't have to worry about that. I've walked back and forth without any accident."

"Well, people may be able to pass, but I don't think it will be able to endure the weight of the wagons!"

From behind them, shouts of protest followed one after another.

"That's right!"

"Who will be responsible if we fall into the river and die?"

Fear had consumed the coachmen. It seemed that in their mind, the only outcome if they attempted to pass the bridge was death.

At this rate, no matter how much money Madenna spent, it would all be in vain since they didn't even have the guts to drive the wagons across the bridge.

"Alright then, you there. Give me the whip."

"Pardon?"

"If I demonstrate it myself, then will you pass the bridge?"

"No, miss! It's too dangerous!"

"That belief is why I want to prove that it's perfectly safe," Madenna took the whip from his hand as she ignored his protest.