CHAPTER 17

On the next day, Madenna wore a simple dress just like yesterday.

It wasn't the same clothes as then, but it still felt like what a commoner would wear.

She went out with Farren again, with a hood to cover her face as much as possible.

Today's destination was the house where Sein lives.

It was located in the outermost part of the capital, in the residential area for poor people.

Perhaps because most of the adults living in the area went to work, there were no adults in sight.

There were only groups of children in worn-out clothes scribbling on the floor or playing by themselves.

Farren looked at the neglected children while frowning.

"Does it bother you?"

Madenna asked, and Farren nodded.

"It makes me think that I was lucky."

"It's the harsh reality. There's only a little we could do to help them."

Those children should be protected by the empire but the current empire did not fulfill its job properly.

It was a cruel era in which people had to save themselves.

"Then... will the situation get better when the new era comes like you said?"

"I'm going to make it better, so that the mages and other marginalized groups can be protected by the empire."

I want to create a much better place for everyone, to the extent that they can admit a new era has been established.

At least, I could be sure that such a future wouldn't come if Suzanne became the ruler.

"I think Madenna can start the new era."

"I..."

"Just because mages are recognized doesn't mean that the roles of ordinary people will disappear."

"Well, that's true but..."

"... And if it is Madenna that opens the new era, people would trust and follow you just like me."

'But it is you who will be the emperor of that era, Farren.'

She couldn't say it herself, so Madenna merely smiled bitterly.

"Okay, cut the nonsense. We've arrived."

In the direction Madenna pointed at, there was a small two-story house.

It wasn't very colorful like the other houses, but it looked clean as it was well managed.

'It's too simple to be a place where the owner who owns a fairly large business lives.'

It also meant that Sein's purpose was not simply to become wealthy.

Madenna rang the doorbell at the entrance.

An old woman with grey hair opened the front door.

"Who is it?"

"I'm here to meet Sein for business."

"Oh, did you come to see the master? He's out right now."

When the old woman rubbed her hand against the apron and said so, Madenna smiled brightly.

"Can we wait inside?"

"Yes, surely."

The house was clean, but it was dark. Even if the sun was shining brightly, it was still dark because the window was located away from the sun.