CHAPTER 16

A few days later, as promised, Madenna began preparing to head out.

"Shall we bring out your clothes, miss?"

"Yes, right away."

The maids immediately dressed her up.

The clothes chosen weren't the high-end outfits she usually donned while going out. Rather, it had a simple design, serving like streetwear, or something a commoner or a poor noblewoman would wear.

The cloth was also mixed with cheap cottonwood, which brought out a harsh texture. It was noticeably uncomfortable to wear.

Although Madenna's unique selection of clothing perplexed the maids, they still helped her dress obediently.

Unlike a couture dress, which had complex design and took a long time to fit into, the plain clothes were easily slipped on.

"What about your hair, miss?"

"I don't need any decoration, just roughly tie it up. Make it so that it doesn't feel extravagant."

"Understood, miss."

In Madenna's previous life, this was her preferred style, and was rather unusual, in context of the empire's culture. Most would strive to fancy and pretty up their hair.

Even the maids were combing her hair with puzzled faces.

'Well, it's supposed to look natural instead of attractive.'

Today, she had to head to the commoners district.

If she dressed up as she usually did and visited such a place, it was certain that she would draw unwelcome attention.

Therefore, she had to choose her clothes carefully, as to not create a sense of incompatibility, and remain conspicuous..

'These days I've been wearing a lot of bright clothes thanks to Farren, so it's been a long time since I've worn dark clothing like this.'

The attire she wore today was a blotchy brown dress.

Her gorgeous hair colour was covered up with a cheap headscarf as the outfit's finishing touch.

At a glance from afar, her look was similar to that of any passerby.

"Okay, I think this is enough. It was difficult for you guys to decorate differently than usual."

Madenna praised the maids and handed them the jewelry she didn't use.

The maids' expressions, who were worried about the result, turned bright.

Ailee, a maid who was particularly close to Madenna, thanked Madenna on behalf of the rest.

"Thank you for your generosity. Please leave things to us in the future as well, miss."

As Madenna looked at Ailee, she could feel a lump forming in her throat.

Before her return, she had been kicked out under the charge of theft by Suzanne.

Chills still ran through her spine whenever she recalled the time when those who cared for her were exiled one by one.

"Yes, I think I'll need similar clothing in the future. Please take good care of me then, too."

"Of course! Although, it's a bit disappointing that we can't dress the lady up."

"Pardon?"

Madenna tilted her head in confusion as the maids behind her gave a nod of agreement.

"Yes! I have a lot of friends working at other aristocratic families. They say everyone is envious of the Rodenherg belle's beauty. It's our pride to dress as pretty a woman as miss."