Chapter 1 - Lift Off

"Now boarding British Airways Flight Eighty-Four, non-stop to London Heathrow

"Now boarding British Airways Flight Eighty-Four, non-stop to London Heathrow. Priority group three, including World Traveller Plus and Oneworld Ruby members, may now board. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready at the gate for the boarding agents."

I looked down at my business class ticket—21 K, Group 3. I hadn't asked for the complimentary upgrade, but it was about damn time my luck changed after the craptastic afternoon dealing with my ex. As I rose from the uncomfortable airport lounge chair, I winced at the dull throb in my temple. In the two years since I'd broken our engagement, the controlling ass continued to show up and harass me every few months.

Today had been notably worse.

He'd caught sight of my travel backpack and exploded. With his tight fingers cutting into my arm, he'd screamed in my face, "Ungrateful, hoity-toity, frigid bitch! Who'd you fuck to get the grant money for this trip?"

The remembered litany of insults rang in my ear and I blew out a shaky breath. I'd wiped the disgusting spray of spittle from my face with a wet wipe, but my skin still crawled. As I raised my backpack to my shoulder, I flinched, trying not to hiss as the strap grazed my bruised flesh. Damn it, I was so done with taking his shit. If I hadn't needed this trip so badly and wasn't already running late to catch my flight, I'd have followed through on my threat to call the police.

Maybe I should have.

On my way to the gate, my eyes lingered on the beautiful wood-carved Kwakwaka' wakw peoples artwork of the trickster Raven on the concourse wall. A cultural hero, Raven's stories were my favourite. I couldn't help but smile at the connection with my heritage despite the tension wound around my spine—a boa constrictor ruthlessly choking the life from me. If only Raven would turn his mischief against Trent. The image of the carving coming alive, taking flight, and bursting from the Vancouver airport to chase down my ex had me biting back a snicker as I held out my boarding pass and passport to the gate attendant. 

She returned them with a polite nod. "Welcome aboard, Doctor Murphy."

"Thank you." Heading through the doorway and down the ramp, I reached the plane's door, then crossed to the far aisle. The business class section had large, deep seats, two at each wing and three seats across the centre, offset between the two aisles. My row was just before the bulkhead and curtain that provided privacy from the economy sections. 

With a relieved sigh, I sank into the window seat, shoved my backpack underneath and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the mental replay of Trent's harsh words. Ugh, as if work hadn't been stressful enough this week. Trent's nastiness was the shit icing on my already crappy cupcake.

I rolled my shoulders a few times to loosen the knots, drew in a breath and let it out in a slow exhale as opened my gaze to the window and view of the coastal mountains. It had been a gorgeous August day, warm but not hot, yet bright and sunny. The clear skies were darkening with the sunset, reflecting off the few clouds near the north shore mountains. Brilliant reds and oranges contrasted with the rich emerald green of the coniferous forests that surrounded my home—my sole source of solace these past few years. As much as I loved it, fuck, did I need to escape, to get away for a while.