Chapter 27 - Secrets & Legends

Over the next week, Mist taught me different ways to combine air and water vapour with strikes and blocks, first with the stave, then we moved to a pair of long trident-shaped daggers, or sais

Over the next week, Mist taught me different ways to combine air and water vapour with strikes and blocks, first with the stave, then we moved to a pair of long trident-shaped daggers, or sais. They were versatile weapons that were easy to wield for blocking, hooking a sword or staff, punching, and yes, stabbing if need be. Briefly, I tried short swords and longer swords, but came back to the sais. They just felt more comfortable in my hands. The pair of them allowed me to be unpredictable, as I blocked with one and struck with the other.

"You still need to be able to wield a sword if it's the only weapon available to you," Loki advised.

Much to my pleased amazement, he continued to help me learn, especially every time I tried a new weapon, but left the sparring sessions to Mist. Loki really seemed to support my acquisition of skills as fast as possible. That he wasn't at all threatened by my successes, as experience had led me to expect, continued to surprise me.

"I know, but if given a preference, I'd like to focus on getting better with these. They feel more natural in my hands than the other weapons I've tried." I twirled the sais, enjoying the balance and spin of them.

"We can work for a few hours each day to get you familiar with a range of weapons," Mist suggested. "You should also learn the basics of the bow and throwing knives, in addition to the sword. Even guns, due to their frequency on Midgard. But then, focus the rest of the training day on improving your skill with the sais."

"Does that sound reasonable, Loki?" I asked.

"Yes, that's a good plan," he agreed. "Let's go with the sais today, as we need to stop early. We need time to get ready for the celebration the King and Queen are hosting tonight, to introduce you to the people of Asgard." After kissing me, Loki nodded to Mist, and retreated to his usual position, leaning against a pillar where he watched me train.

"I have to say, my princess, I am thrilled to have you join the royal family," Mist said, as we moved into our initial sparring warm up. She was using a long sword and a dagger for our session today.

"Why's that?"

"I have never seen our Prince so content. Loki's still his mischievous self. I don't know how he could be otherwise, but unlike in the past, there is no maliciousness to it."

I was pretty content myself, I had to admit. The more time I spent with Loki, the deeper I fell for him. With the bond wide open, I sensed a depth of caring that amazed me. Flashes of pride and warmth surged through our connection when he complimented me on my increasing proficiency with weapons, hand-to-hand techniques, and my own abilities.

A grin stretched my lips as I thwarted Mist's first flurry of attacks and spun to make one of my own, going for her thigh and neck. 

"Plus, you are a badass!" With a laugh, she blocked and returned to attack me in a fast series of moves.

Too busy laughing at Mist's comment, I almost missed the swipe of her sword. At the last second, I caught it with the sai lying along my forearm and intercepted her dagger thrust with a shield of air.