Chapter 36 - Party Crashers

"What's this? Ditching us and making plans on your own?" Ben asked during a pause in their conversation, hearing the last part of ours

"Maybe we want in on the fun too," complained Loki with a slightly sulky pout that belied the amusement in his eyes. "I'm glad you seem to be hitting it off with Suzie so well, darling."

"She's fun, and I can see getting into trouble with her."

Suzie and I linked arms. "Sometimes, us ladies just need to have a girls' night. It's not always about you," I teased.

Ben turned to Loki with a scowl. "Your Shannon is corrupting my Suzie."

Loki snorted. "If you believe that, then Suzie sure has had you fooled."

Both men laughed, and Suzie and I rolled our eyes.

"Let's get out of this crush and head to the north gallery room they have set aside for us. It's a bit more exclusive and there should be food. I'm starved!" Ben suggested.

We agreed, following as he led the way. Suzie and I continued to talk, while Ben and Loki got stopped every few minutes to greet someone. Progress through the main gallery was slow.

The doorway to the room Ben was aiming for was ahead of us, with two burly security men preventing anyone not invited or escorted from entering. With a nod to Suzie, I indicated the direction.

She laughed. "Now, if only we can wrangle our men to actually reach there."

Ben was stalled in front of her, talking to an attractive couple. The man was half a foot taller than Ben's six feet, with short, well-cut blond hair, sea-green eyes, and a lean, but athletic build. He was smiling as they chatted, yet his eyes were cold and distant. A chill shivered over my skin, despite the heat of the evening. The woman was Ben's height, with unusual, long silver hair drawn up into a high ponytail, emphasizing her stunning features. Her blue eyes matched the icy blue of the sleeveless sheath dress she wore draped over a slender body. It made me wonder if she was a model. She certainly had the height, face, and body for it.

Loki was behind me, turned around, chatting animatedly to a red-haired man about a project they'd done together a couple of years ago.

"Shannon, Suzie, come meet Rhiana and Dion," Ben said, as he turned to include us in his conversation. "Dion is a writer, and some of his work might be right up your alley, Suzie."

Suzie shook Dion's hand as I stepped over to shake Rhiana's hand. She gave me a small smile that suggested I was beneath her notice and should be grateful to meet her. So, not just a model, but an egotistical one. Despite her off-putting attitude, I strove to be polite and restrained my eye roll as I held my hand out.

"Hi, I'm Shannon," I said as our hands met. There was a jolt, like an electric shock, as soon as our skin touched. An odd look crossed her face before she focused on me with slightly narrowed eyes.