Chapter 47 - No Boys Allowed

Kara, Mist, and I were up bright and early the next morning, just after sunrise

Kara, Mist, and I were up bright and early the next morning, just after sunrise. The path led through the nearby forest to the Skiddaw hiking trail and we set out along the ridge tops. Once we were out of sight of the nearby town and had descended into a valley, I spent an hour practicing tossing gas balls at rock targets, while Kara and Mist sparred.

In the midst of one throw, I stopped, with the hairs on my neck standing up. Looking around, Kara and Mist were still fighting hand-to-hand. I couldn't see anyone on the nearby hills or trail. Still, something bothered me. It was unnerving, like there were eyes on me. Early morning mists swirled and shrouded parts of the hills.

Kara and Mist stopped, seeing me looking around.

"What's wrong, Shannon?" Mist asked.

"I'm not sure. But I'd swear we are being watched."

She sent out a wave of air, looking for disturbances. "Animals, but I'm not detecting any mortals or immortals. Kara?"

Kara was looking around as well. "No, I'm not picking up anything either. What exactly does it feel like, Shannon? You have abilities we don't, so you could very well be picking up something we can't."

"The hair on the back of my neck is standing up. Almost like there is an electricity in the air, but I can't tell from where. Kind of like that sense you get when a thunderstorm is building. Do you know what I mean?"

"I do," Mist nodded. "But I'm not picking up anything in the water vapour. This isn't weather-related."

"We should head back," I said, and they agreed. Despite our vigilance on the trek back to the cottage, we never spotted anyone or anything that explained the sensation I'd had.

Suzie was awake and cooking a full English breakfast when we arrived.

"Perfect timing! How was your hike?" she asked with a smile.

"Rejuvenating. It's a beautiful, misty morning, but the sky is blue and not a cloud in sight. It should be another warm day," Kara replied, as we set out plates.

"Thanks for making breakfast. This looks amazing," I told her, filling my plate with bacon, sausage, a slice of black pudding, eggs, fried potatoes, grilled tomato, and sourdough toast. I was starving.

"You are absolutely welcome. Not a fan of beans?" she asked with a grin.

I wrinkled my nose. "Nope. They don't like me, but I have decided I like this black pudding. It's a weird name, but it tastes good."

She laughed as she filled her plate and sat down to eat, as Kara and Mist served themselves.

After breakfast, we headed over to the spa. Initially spending a couple of hours lounging in various pools of different temperatures, and some time steaming in the sauna, we later separated into our rooms for massage, body scrubs, and facials.