Chapter 25 - Beware of Gods Bearing Gifts

Despite our formal attire, I was pleased to find it was just the two of us dining together with Frigga and Odin

"I'm happy to see you again so soon," Frigga said, immediately enveloping me in a hug as we entered the dining area within their suite of rooms. "Have you told Loki about the baby yet?" she breathed in my ear before letting me go.

I gave a small shake of my head. "Thank you for the invitation, my queen."

Frigga and Loki both turned on either side of me to present me to Odin. He'd hung back as he observed us. He was far more imposing than any Hollywood version of him. Entirely in liquid gold armour and black leather, with long braided white hair and neatly trimmed white beard, he sported a golden eyepatch. He radiated an energy that was impossible to not notice.

"This is Loki's soulmate, Princess Shannon of the Aos Sí, but raised as a mortal on Midgard," Frigga told him.

"Come here, child," Odin commanded in a deep, richly resonant voice.

From behind me, I heard Loki and Frigga greet each other as I walked over to Odin.

"My king, I apologize. I'm unfamiliar with Asgardian etiquette. Do I curtsey?" I asked bluntly. Better to simply ask than to offend by not knowing, I assumed.

A small smile appeared on Odin's face, and he reached out a hand to me. I took it, and a rush of energy poured into me. It wasn't unpleasant, just unexpected.

"When we are in public, yes, you should greet me with a curtsey or bow, depending on your attire. Loki and Frigga will help you learn our ways, I am sure. Here in private, we do not need to be so formal. Instead, I'm pleased to have a worthy daughter for my mischievous son. Frigga tells me you're an excellent match. I know the Norns would not have paired you otherwise."

To say I was surprised by his warm welcome and kind words was an understatement. I'd had a preconceived notion of his personality based on fictional accounts of him. I quickly realized how flawed they were. This Odin had worked out any differences with a teenaged Loki a long time ago and seemed to accept, and be proud of him, flaws and all. Perhaps there was some truth to the mythology that he'd given up his eye for wisdom. Although curious, I wasn't about to blurt out that question. I had some self-preservation, after all.

"Thank you, my king," I managed, despite my surprise.

"Please, I hope you will become comfortable enough to call me Father in time."

Unexpectedly, tears came to my eyes. "I... thank you... Father," I managed.

He smiled kindly as he tucked my hand in his arm and moved us away from where Loki and Frigga were talking. We strolled out a set of doors and into a beautiful garden full of fragrant flowers, hanging grapes, and trellised fruit trees.

"I understand from Frigga you haven't yet told my son about our grandchild? May I ask why?"

My pulse hiccuped and a tendril of worry threaded through my belly, churning uneasily. "I wanted a little time for it to settle into my own brain, feel real to me, before I told him. Without any symptoms, it was quite a shocking discovery," I explained, searching for the right words to make sense of it all. "There's been such an overwhelming number of things to adjust to in such a short period. I haven't been able to catch my breath."