Chapter 35 - Friends & Lies

"No Elise?" I asked Thor, while Loki went to get me a glass of wine

"She and the twins are at home in Australia. It's too much to drag them around for all these things."

"So, when will I get to meet her? You are going to let me meet my sister-in-law, right?" I demanded.

"Of course, Shannon! We've got the 'Love and Thunder' premiere in Sydney in two months. That will be two short weeks for you. Depending on how filming for 'Loki' is going, maybe the two of you could spend a few days visiting us?"

"Absolutely, I'd love that. I don't know... Love, could you get a couple of days before or after Thor's red carpet in Sydney to spend some time with his family? So I can meet Elise and the kids?" I asked Loki, as he returned with a glass of wine for me and two glasses of scotch for himself and Thor.

"Of course, I'll see what I can do, darling. I appreciate you've wanted to get to know them," he reassured me.

Cautiously, I took a sip of the red wine. True to his word, there was no alcohol, but it was still surprisingly full-bodied and flavourful. When I nodded my approval, he gave me a little half smile. Of course, he'd make sure I'd enjoy it. He loved pampering me.

"Ros has arrived," Thor told us, looking over the sea of heads to the entrance of the theatre. He gave her a quick wave so she could locate us. But given she was one of the stars of the movie, it still took a while for her to make her way over.

"By the Fates, this place is packed! What a zoo it is outside!" Roskva exclaimed as she reached us, before making the rounds for hugs. "Nice illusion. Loki's?" she whispered when she hugged me.

"Yes, not part of my skill-set," I confirmed, and she nodded.

A man joined us then, handing Roskva a glass of red wine and wrapping his arm around her waist.

"This is my husband, Bobbie. Bobbie, this is Tod Mogroddine, his girlfriend, Doctor Shannon Murphy, and his brother from another mother, Cirrus Helsbearth, Asgardian gods Loki and Thor, respectively."

The raw truth in Ros' introduction had me biting my lip to keep from laughing. She'd said it without the slightest hint of a wink or nod. When it came to unflinching deception, these gods and immortals really had no qualms whatsoever. It made me wonder how long it would be before I could lie without guilt.

Bobbie held out a hand and shook each of ours, polite, but clearly clueless. I couldn't imagine how hard it was to have a relationship when your partner knew so little about who you really were or the life experiences that made you who you were. Just maintaining the relationship with my best friend was difficult enough.

"How do Thor and Ros do it? How do they maintain a relationship that hides so much of themselves?" I asked Loki, as I listened to them exchange small talk.

"It's hard. It wears on them. But they are in love, so they try to focus on the positive, on the good things they can share, since the mortal's life is so short in comparison."