3 ✽ The Red Bridge

Throwing her arms around Da-hee for a last hug, Eun-bi almost burst into tears. Before she left, she gave a stern look to Da-hee's soon-to-be husband and warned him of the consequences if he were to break her friend's heart, to which the big, burly man confidently promised her she could have his head if he ever did that.

After exchanging well wishes, she departed from the blacksmith workshop. One guard ran up to her side and delivered a message.

"Your Highness, the Crown Prince awaits you at the red bridge."

"He is?" She squeaked in surprise.

Did he leave the palace to fetch her?

When the guard confirmed with a nod again, Eun-bi's excitement soared in her heart. The memories of the red bridge brought a huge smile to her face, but also a slight grimace because of her atrocious behaviour. It was still a precious memory that she had committed to her heart.

After all, the events that happened that night sealed hers and Yul's fate together.

Grinning, she walked ahead briskly, eager to meet him as soon as she could. Her guards were trying to keep up with her pace until someone coaxed her gently from behind.

"Your Highness, slow down. We don't wish to lose sight of you or have you tripping on your feet."

Since the day they announced her to be the next Crown Princess, everybody began treating her as if she was a fragile human vase. As much as she would love to prove them wrong, a part of her knew that their anxiety and overprotection were because they didn't wish to anger the Crown Prince if he found a single scratch on her.

Sighing, she slowed her steps, but only a tad bit. "Fine, I'll listen to you this once. Is this better?"

Her guards nodded in silent appreciation. Three of them slipped away from the group to scour the nearby areas for dangers, while the rest remained by her side. The deeper they ventured into the market, the more stares they received. The sight of Eun-bi acting the role of a young Lord with her young, robust-looking guards was most definitely drawing curious attention from onlookers.

Beautiful women emerged from a nearby courtesan house and began singing praises to get her attention. But Eun-bi dodged their greedy claws and waved them away.

"Move out of my way!" she exclaimed loudly. "I've a beautiful wife waiting for me. I must get going!"

As she scurried away, it left her guards astonished, and someone raised a question. "Did she just refer our Crown Prince to a 'wife'...?"

"Shh! Just pretend you didn't hear it and keep moving."

Listening to their confused exchange, Eun-bi grinned. Clearly, no one shared her humour like Yul did.

The night market was bustling with people. Strings of paper lanterns hung from roof to roof, bathing the capital in warm, colourful lights. Quaint music weaved through the crowd as musicians portrayed a story using their instruments.

The thick fragrance of roasted meat made her mouth drool. When she walked past a stall that was selling steamed buns and dumplings, her stomach rumbled.

But her hunger could wait.

Right now, meeting Yul was her priority.

Eun-bi came to a slow stop when something caught her eye—a shop selling paper lanterns and toys. She reached out for those small, red lotus lanterns, hoping to buy them for Yul, but her hand knocked into somebody's.

Pulling back quickly, she lifted her gaze to meet eyes that belonged to those of a stranger—a young man dressed in neat, humble clothes. A commoner. In fact, he didn't seem to look much older than Eun-bi was.