18 ✽ A Peculiar Accountant

The horse riding class exceeded Eun-bi's expectations. After giving a short demonstration, the rich enthusiasm replaced the fear that once gripped the noblewomen. Watching them welcome a new learning experience was satisfying.

After providing much guidance, it was Eun-bi's turn to enjoy herself. She finally showered Bo-mi with attention, allowing him to walk alongside other horses while their riders, including Jin-hee and Yoo-jung, exchanged genuine radiant smiles with Eun-bi.

For the first time, she felt involved. Her quirky behaviour and habits had often kept her ostracised from the rest of her peers, but not this time. It didn't matter if there were still a couple of ladies who kept scowling at her, at least some of them were showing her their sincerity.

She could only hope that this positivity would continue till the end of the day or, even better, beyond the days ahead.

Next, it was time for a reading class. The noblewomen gathered in the Great Hall once again and exchanged chatters. Eun-bi remained outside, waiting along the corridor as a familiar figure approached her—Accountant Cha.

He greeted her warmly. "Your Highness." His eyes darted towards the door, releasing a sigh when he grew aware of the chaos awaiting him inside. "Must I really be the one teaching this class and the next?"

A grin broke out across her face. "Yes. I've seen your talent. You manage the ledgers meticulously, and you're one of the top scholars. Who else can I entrust this duty to except you?" She leaned in to whisper to him. "And you'll be showered with plenty of compliments from these ladies. Isn't that what you like?"

"They aren't the ones that I wish to hear from."

"Oh? You have a lover?"

There was a fleeting shadow in his narrowed eyes. He tilted his head, studying her thoughtfully as a ghost of a smile edged to his lips. "No."

Huh. His erratic behaviour didn't convince her. "If not, then who do you wish to hear from–"

Wait. Was this his way of trying to flirt with her?

Seeing that realisation hit her, he took a brazen step towards her. "I can't quite figure you out, Crown Princess. Have I gotten on your good or bad side?"

She took an unconscious step backwards. "Neither?"

There was just something about him and his bold attitude that perturbed her and yet, she couldn't quite put a finger on it.

She might have to study him a little more and figure him out as soon as possible.

But if she took too long, she might upset Yul again.

Accountant Cha's disappointment was apparent. He shook his head sadly. "I'm truly ashamed. It seems like I will have to work harder to earn your acknowledgement, Your Highness."

Turning away from her, he entered the Great Hall and immediately, squeals of delight came from the blushing noblewomen. They marvelled over his handsome looks, throwing him endless praises like Eun-bi knew they would. After all, this was the sole reason she had intended Accountant Cha to be their tutor for the day.

However, he kept her confused. Why was he so desperate for her acknowledgement? Was he truly sincere or simply mocking her?

What did he exactly want from her?

Speaking of the devil, Accountant Cha reappeared by the door. "Your Highness, you must set a good example and take part in the classes too."

"What?!" Eun-bi squeaked, clearly thrown off guard. "Must I?"