30 ✽ The Royal Court

The ministers and higher-ranked officials were already present in the Royal Court when Eun-bi and Accountant Cha arrived. As always, the place was in a state of disorder, so much that it felt like a shame that they were mistreating such a majestic grandeur.

She stood before the King sitting on his throne, waiting for him to speak. He was deep in thoughts; eyes closed, chin on his hand. His fingers tapped against his temple quickly.

When his eyes snapped open, he caught her gaze. Despite the tense situation in the hall, he was the only one who smiled at her warmly. "You're here."

She returned a half-smile, to which he nodded in understanding.

Raising an arm, he chastised the talking men. "Silence. How is it that this court is as noisy as a children's yard?"

Instantly, the murmurs ceased, their lips pursed as they waited for the King to begin the interrogation.

Amid the heavy silence, the entrance doors swung open and Eun-bi let out a sigh of relief.

Her husband, the Crown Prince, stormed down the aisle, passing by the rows of people whose heads dropped in a formal bow. Nothing mattered more to him than rushing to her side. He took her hand and gripped it, partially shielding her from watchful eyes. Even though his body was vibrating with anger, he assured her with his eyes.

"Don't be afraid," he whispered. His voice softened as he squeezed her hand once. "Whatever happens later, I will always be on your side."

His assurance eased her anxiety, and she squeezed back his hand. "Thank you."

Giving her a short nod, he turned around and glowered coldly at Accountant Cha, who now stood rigid in place. This was the first time that both men stood facing each other, but the tension between them was like water crackling on boiling oil.

Eun-bi watched the scene closely. The expression on Accountant Cha slowly morphed into something dark and dangerous—hatred.

The King's voice resounded through the royal court, loud and dignified. "Now that everyone's present, let us begin the questioning."

Yul remained by her side, placing him between her and Accountant Cha. Meanwhile, the King regarded them with a seriousness that belied in the casualness of his tone.

"Crown Princess," he said. "Are you aware of what has happened to the female academy? A part of the building collapsed today."

"What?" Eun-bi's jaw dropped in shock. "No, I was not informed."

To her knowledge, the academy was still in construction. How was it that no one told her? Did someone intercept the messages?

"Was anyone injured?" she asked, her heart thumping in trepidation.

She feared the worst might have happened. It would be her fault for not paying close attention to matters relating to the academy.

The King shook his head once. "No, but the cause of the damage was because of the low-quality materials used to construct the building," he said. "However, the ledger recorded a significantly higher cost. We've received complaints that the finances are coveted. Are you responsible for such an act?"

She could sense glares coming from all around her, but her voice remained strong and undaunted. "No, Your Majesty. I wasn't aware of it happening. I found it out last night as well." She scowled at Accountant Cha. "Perhaps you should question this man instead."

"Is that so?" The King's gaze traversed over to where the real culprit stood. "What do you think?"

Accountant Cha remained eerily calmed. "Yes, Your Majesty. I was the one who manipulated the numbers in the ledger."