34 ✽ Death Match

Through the mansion's gate, the Crown Prince emerged from the darkness.

Dozens of the palace soldiers swooped in after him, surrounding all of Old Scholar Cha's men in a matter of seconds. They raised their weapons high, poised and ready for attack.

Down the small flight of stairs, the rest of the soldiers parted for their prince to walk through while Jung-ho shadowed his back.

When the moonlight irradiated Yul's cold, handsome face, the world seemed to shine even brighter. Their gazes locked and Eun-bi felt a wave of relief washing over her, knowing that she was no longer alone in this predicament.

Yul had come for her, just as he promised he always would.

He was her pillar of support she could fall back on. Her other half. When they were together, nothing felt impossible.

A noise behind her—shoes scuffling hastily—stole her attention away from her husband. Turning around, all she saw was Old Scholar Cha's menacing grin, before a streak of silver slicing downwards to her face. There wasn't enough time for her to respond.

She was going to be killed.

Next to her, Accountant Cha shouted a warning. He moved quickly, pushing her aside, and she landed on the ground.

She let out a gasp as he took the hit on her behalf. The sword sliced open his left shoulder, blood soaking through his clothes.

His interference didn't stop the old fox from turning towards Eun-bi. Lunging for her once again.

A rush of cold ran through her veins. Acting on instinct, her hand got a fistful of dirt and gritty little stones. She flung them at Old Scholar Cha, giving him a temporary blindness.

That did it. He let out a loud curse, stumbling once, and there was a quick flash of movement between them. A familiar figure stepped in, shielding Eun-bi from the danger.

Yul.

Old Scholar Cha howled in pain, his sword dropping to the ground. He clutched at his bleeding wrist, eyes fixed on the long, nasty cut. "Damn you!"

Yul narrowed his eyes, watching as Jung-ho apprehended the man. He placed his blade against the latter's neck, exerting enough pressure to make him bleed. "Get down on your knees."

Letting out angry cries, Old Scholar Cha crumpled to his knees before the Crown Prince, who glared down at him coldly. Even if Yul didn't speak a word, his presence was overwhelming. The authority he exuded was natural and unquestionable.

But the only one who wasn't afraid of him in this state was Eun-bi.

"Yul!" She stood up and stumbled forward, still reeling in the aftershock of her near-death experience, but he turned and caught her swiftly. His muscular arm held her upright and steady on her feet.

"Breathe," he instructed calmly, holding her close to his chest and patting her back lightly in consolation. "I'm always with you. I will let nothing happen to you."

She nodded dazedly. "H-how?" Her gaze swivelled between him and an injured Accountant Cha in confusion. "What happened to the both of you? The last I recalled, we were not on the same team."

She didn't miss the two men glaring at each other.

"W-we still are not." Accountant Cha winced and clutched at his bleeding shoulder. "It's because he has my mother in his hands. We made an exchange–I'll give him the man who wants to hurt you and he will return my mother safely. Ever since we left the palace, he and his men have been shadowing us all the way." He mustered a faint smile. "If I tried to harm you, they would have me killed first."