11 ✽ Newlyweds

After her discussion with the King, Eun-bi hurried back to her quarters, hoping to gather her writing materials for her research and begin working on her proposal.

On her way back, she chanced upon Yul, who was on his way to meet her. Her lips immediately widened into a smile as she clutched at his arms.

"Your Highness! I have something to tell you!"

Her excitement enlivened his expression, but when he heard the details about her assignment, a frown crossed his face. "You're going to work on that now?"

"Yes, I should! Considering how I'm extremely motivated now when most of the time I'm not, I should act right away..." Her voice faltered when she noticed how his face fell. "... Or should I not?"

Seeing how Yul was on his way to her quarters, he must want to spend time with her.

"We've only been married for a couple of days," he mumbled begrudgingly, "but Father is assigning you work and keeping you away from me? I shall have a word with him later."

For an independent, hardworking man with a few words, listening to Yul's complaint felt like a relief. He was someone who never complained about his work, simply because he had already accepted that it was his duty.

Because of this, it became a part of the reason Eun-bi was eager to take up the King's assignment. When they weren't spending time together, she never understood the work that he was doing, which made her feel rather left out.

That and also, well, because she needed to find a justifiable reason to escape her treacherous etiquette lessons.

Grabbing his hand, she tugged him along with her, their servants in tow. "I've changed my mind—I will not work. Let's play! You don't have any work to do today, right?"

Her words raised his spirits. "I've already finished them early."

"That's great! What should we play? You should decide."

"I don't...know."

"Well, we can either take a stroll or play with a ball in the gardens. If you would like, you can teach me how to shoot a bow."

That last option excited him. "Can I show you...my favourite bow?"

She couldn't help but smile. Honestly, men just couldn't seem to hide their love and pride for weapons. "Of course!"

Together, they made their way to the shooting range. Eunuch Nam brought out a set of exquisite bows, and Yul picked one to show it to Eun-bi. "This is the one," he said. "Would you like to hold it?"

She accepted the bow from him, noting how well-made it was. "It's lighter than I expected," she marvelled. "And it's comfortable to hold the bow handle. Can I try to shoot with this?"

"Yes." Yul stepped closer to her to adjust her form, his body pressing into her back as he assisted her in fitting an arrow. "Who is your target this time?"

A chuckle escaped her lips. It surprised her he remembered what she said last time. "It will not be Lady Jin-hee again. I'm going to think of somebody else."

However, Eun-bi already had a person in mind—the culprit who left her that threatening letter.

There was a subtle smile in Yul's voice as he whispered into her ear. "Go for it, Princess."

The entire world seemed to fade away as she concentrated on her target. She released her arrow on cue and it soared through the air, hitting the edge of the bull on the wooden scoreboard with a satisfying thud. Even though it was still off from the centre, it was a great improvement as compared to the first time