5 ✽ A Gift to You

Hours later, Eun-bi felt as if she was floating on clouds. Happiness bubbled in her chest, and she couldn't help but let out a giggle. The night air was cool to her heated cheeks.

Yul mumbled under his breath. "I should have known you were being dishonest about your alcohol tolerance."

They were on their route back to the palace, with the guards trailing behind them. As he held her upright by her shoulders, Eun-bi started breaking out in hiccups. Five cups of wine were all it took to get her swaying on her feet and laughing like a maniac.

"It's because whenever I get drunk, I always forget the number of cups I can drink," she explained, her words slurring slightly. "My arithmetic is never my strong point when I'm delirious."

Yul wore a light frown. "How many fingers am I holding up?"

She hiccuped and squinted her eyes. "Seven—no—eight?" Another hiccup again. "Why do you have that many fingers on a hand?"

He shook his head slowly. "Four," he corrected her. "You're drunk and need some sleep."

"But I can't sleep without a bed—" Eun-bi grumbled, but she suddenly felt herself being adjusted and lifted onto someone's broad back. "Oh, there you are."

Wrapping her hands around his neck, she rested her cheek on his warm, sturdy shoulder muscles. He felt warm and nice, like the sunshine in the middle of autumn. "Was the gathering uncomfortable for you?"

"No."

He had grown to be rather outspoken whenever he was around Eun-bi, but in front of others, he would refrain from talking much. Knowing him, he didn't wish his presence to daunt others.

"Everybody was having fun together. Did you have fun?"

Yul considered her question for a moment. "It was an entirely new experience. Something which I've never done before," he remarked. "It was...pleasant."

"We'll arrange another gathering like that someday," she chirped. "Perhaps in the palace."

He didn't seem to dislike her idea. "We should."

She hummed a cheerful tone, swinging her legs lightly, until her back straightened upright with a horrifying realisation.

"Oh no! The promise! I forgot about shopping!"

She smacked herself on the forehead with a loud groan. What was she thinking? How could she have done that to poor Hyun-jun? Why did she let herself be carried away by games and drinks, and forgot to fulfil her promise about becoming his first customer?

Beneath her, Yul carried on walking casually, as if he was hiding a smile in his words. "About that..."

Confusion slurred in her words. "What? What am I missing out on?"

He cleared his throat once. "I bought something on your behalf. You've always presented me with gifts, so I wanted to give you one this time."

"You did?! Where is it? I wish to see it!"

"In my robes–"

Without thinking, Eun-bi slipped her hand between his inner and outer robes, roaming across his chest. All she had in mind was her gift, but his hard muscles were like a distraction. "Where is it?"

Yul, who was still carrying her, halted in his steps. His body had gone completely stiff, words lodged in his throat. His voice carried a hint of nervousness and almost morphed to something else—a low growl? "Eun-bi?"

"Yes?"

He sucked in a deep breath, repeating her name with a sense of plea and urgency. "Eun-bi."

"Hm? What did I do?" Innocence and intoxication mixed in her slurring words until realisation hit her. "Oh. I'm sorry."