35 ✽ The Royal Couple

After returning to the palace, countless people awaited her; the King, some officials, her court ladies, eunuchs, and the guards.

Eun-bi felt a tremendous change in the way people looked at her. She was no longer a princess who was laundering money in the palace. Her survival after being falsely accused and abducted twice made people identify her as a strong girl who returned to the palace alive both times.

To everyone else, the King and the Crown Prince weren't the only ones who favoured her. The heavens did too.

The King paced back and forth. He had come out of his bedchamber at this late hour, still dressed in his red royal attire for formal business, and that surprised Eun-bi. He reminded her of the image of how Eun-bi's father would wait at the mansion's entrance all night long for her whenever she headed out to play.

When the King lifted his head and met her gaze, his worried face eased into a smile.

"Good." He sighed in genuine relief. "You're back safely."

"Yes, Your Majesty," she said. "You must have missed me a lot."

He chuckled softly. "That I did," he admitted. "I couldn't sleep without knowing my children weren't home yet. Go get some rest, both of you. I will see to the punishments of the perpetrators in the morning."

Everyone bowed their heads. Shortly after the King left, Court Lady Kim and Byeol ran up to Eun-bi, nearly knocking her over with their hugs. They bawled their eyes out and berated themselves at their own incompetence. "It's all our fault, Your Highness! We shouldn't have left you in the room alone!"

"It's f-fine," she stuttered. Their tight hugs were choking her. "No one is at fault here. The King confined me to my quarters, remember?"

They released her, tears rimming their eyes. "Where's the man that hurt you?" Court Lady Kim exclaimed angrily, pulling up her sleeves and putting her hands on her hips. "I will fry him in the royal kitchen right now. I know that they have an enormous pot that can fit him inside."

Eun-bi snickered and shared a look of amusement with Yul. "He's all yours," she told her.

Her court ladies sniffed, and she patted their backs, assuring them repeatedly that they weren't at fault. When she looked past them, she caught sight of someone else who looked far worse than her ladies—Officer Hyong.

Her little bodyguard, that she had grown to think of as a family, was well and alive.

She gasped out loud. "Officer Hyong!" She tore herself away from the group and hurried towards him. "Is that really you, or have my eyes gone bad?"

Officer Hyong gave a weak smile. "It is me, Your Highness."

Tears of joy and relief welled up in her eyes. The last image she had of him haunted her mind–when he vanished from her bedchamber's window that night. "Are you hurt?"

"It was just a scratch," he answered quietly. There was a white bandage around his right arm, but just like he said, the rest of him looked well. Cha Ye-joon had actually spared his life.

He hung his head. "I'm ashamed, Your Highness. I apologise for not being able to protect you—"

"Forget about that!" She cut him off. "I'm glad you're alive and that's all that matters! Back then, I-I thought you were dead." She sniffed a few times. "Let me give you a hug."

Spreading her arms wide, she went to him, but before she could reach him, her feet suddenly left the ground. She found herself lifted into the air and placed back onto the ground—but this time facing in the other direction and away from Officer Hyong.