Forty-Two

"Hey if it isn't the Firelord," June chuckled as she greeted the firebende, "Is your grandpa around?"

"My uncle is in Ba Sing Se," Zuko explained, "We came for help," He motioned toward his wife. "We need help locating a group of orphans," Zuko explained while Katara place down the bag, "We were able to find an old blanket and a few ripped clothes," he looked at bounty hunter studying her reaction carefully, "I will also pay you for helping us,"

She took a sip of her drink before saying anything, "Alright, lets get this over with," She stated getting up from her seat.

She led the two outside where her shirshu was currently waiting for her, "Nyla would be able to find them," she motioned for the bag.

Katara handed over a piece of rag that seem to be part of a dress. She looked at how the animal sniffed it before looking at the distance, "She got it," June smirked before  mounting, "Hop on,"

Zuko helped Katara get on as he sat behind her wanting to hold her throughout the ride, "How far are they?"

"Not sure but it doesn't seem far," June responded before turning her attention back to the path.

The journey wasn't long like she had said. It seems they only went over to the next town which was almost 20 minutes away. The mage looked over at her husband as he was currently holding on to her. He noticed and smiled at her direction, "You feel alright?" He questioned as she nodded.

"I think they are underground," June interrupted the two, "Their scent is coming from under the dirt but I don't understand how they got there," She hopped off before helping the FireLady.

"They have a passage to get there last time it was like a broken cellar that they slipped through," She answered.

The firelord looked around the area, "You think that house leds it underground?" He questioned as Katara nodded.

Before they headed inside, Zuko paid the bountyhunter as they parted ways, "Thank you," He smiled as she waved to the couple before turning away.

"This house doesn't look abandon," Katara commented as she inspected it closer. Her husband headed towards the doorsteps and knocked. Katara shot a glare at him, "What if they don't know the ophrans snucked under their house," she exclaimed.

Zuko shrugged and waited for the door to unlock, "Hello?" He called out seeing the knob turn. An old women opened the door.

"Uh yes? Is there something I can help you with?" She asked looking at the two confused.

"My wife and I were wondering if you have seen any ophrans around or even if your taking care of them," He questioned as the old women eyed the two, "The FireLady befriended one of them a few months ago and we wanted to bring them to the palace,".

The waterbender mentally rolled her eyes but stood beside Zuko and waited for the women's response.

"Oh," Her eyes widen, "I am so sorry Firelord Zuko," she bowed her head before doing the same to Katara, "Yes, the orphans are here but they preferred the basement of my house," She explained allowing the couple inside her home, "I can lead you guys to them," She motioned them to follow her.

"See how easy that was," Zuko teased receiving an eyeroll from Katara, "Plus your in no condition to be doing this to begin with,"

"Whatever lets just get them back to the palace," She mumbled upset that they could of been a bit adventurous like they used too.

They headed down a few stairs seeing how lit up the room was. The old women remained quiet until she got to the last step, "The FireLord and FireLady are here to talk to you guys," She announced grabbing all the children's attention.

Zuko was a bit taken back about how many there was, "I don't think our transportation can fit everyone on it," He whispered to his wife.

Katara didn't respond because she was to busy looking for a specific girl. There had to be atleast 20 of them in total,"Mitsuko?" She called out causing one girl to stand up.

"She bonded with a nice family and they took her in a couple days ago," Arui spoke up, "She didn't want to leave us but I insisted she had too go with them. The women has lost her own daughter at birth and immediately fell in-love with Mitsuko. Her husband offered a home and two older siblings. How could she refuse that,"

Katara's eyes sadden but was happy she found a home, "I wouldn't had thought your group would of gotten bigger," She pointed out.

The Firelord bent down as he picked up a little boy who was clinging on to his knees, "Kat we should get going,"

"I came here to bring you guys at the palace, I wanted to provide a stable shelter temporarily until we found proper homes for you," She explained as the children's eyes lit up, "I promised I would come back and I am here,"

Arui looked unsure but agreed to since she too realized their group was getting way out of hand, "If you can give everyone a home, you have a deal,"

Back at the palace, the servants and staff were running around trying to set up the grand dinner. Zhilan was put in charge as she called her husband to assist the tables.

"I am a royal guard and here I am moving chairs," He teased as she rolled her eyes.

"Lady Katara and FireLord Zuko expect this to be perfect," She commented, "Ursa would of been so proud how far he has come," She smiled remembering her old friend.

Peng placed a hand on her shoulder, "Ursa is out there somewhere and knowing the Firelord he will seek her out,"

"Do you guys know who these guests are?" A servant questioned.

Before the two can answer—a guard entered the dining room informing the return of the Lord and his Lady. Zhilan called out the servants to stand in place to welcome them.

She was thankful that they arrived just in time.

Zuko appeared first being followed by his wife, "Zhilan and Peng we would like you guys to join us," He started releasing his wife's arm and pressing firmly on the women's hand, "There is someone we would like you guys to meet,"

Zhilan shook her head to protest but Katara placed a finger on her lips, "When I was trying to return to the palace after what happened a couple months back I ran into these orphans who lend me a roof to stay," She began as she motioned one girl to come in.

"It wasn't me who bumped into Lady Katara but another girl who brought her to us," Arui explained, "She recently found a home to call hers but I too began to look out for children who I can help even though we are all struggling," She explained as she looked over and motioned someone to come over.

Zhilan looked at the line of children who walked in and greeted shyly to her and her husband, "Lady Katara you brought these children to the palace?" She questioned in disbelief.

"We will provide temporarily shelter until we find them a proper home and my wife planned a welcome dinner for them," The bender answered as he gestured them to take a seat.

Zhilan and her husband followed the royals and sat beside them. Peng leaned a little close to her ear, "Maybe we can adopt a few of them," He whispered.