Çhåþ†êr 4 - The Last Defense

.

-----
.
-----
.
-----
.
-------------------------------------------
.
-----
.
----
.
----
.
------------------------------------------------
.
----
.
----
.
----
.
------------------------------------------------------------

Third-person POV:

"Close the gate!"

"The Titans are coming!"

"Get that gate shut!"

Screams echoed through the area as women clutched their children, their husbands screaming at members of the garrison to let them on the boats. An uproar grew as smoke rose above the heights of the wall, now seen as a prison-a pen-rather than a safe refuge from the titans. Whoever was left of the townsfolk were all covered in blood, soot, and dust. Some clutched onto the remnants of the corpses which were once their loved ones, only to be torn away from the corpse to seek a chance to get on the boats which were fleeing the district with haste. Personal belongings were tossed aside, anything to get as many people on the boats as possible.

"This just can't be happening..."

"Oh God... oh God..."

"The ship's full! It's leaving!"

"No way...! Please, at least take my child!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't! Go!"

It was pure chaos.

Something as devastating and bloody as this event had never been contemplated by the higher-ups, leading what was left of the military to be confused, scared, and most importantly, hopeless. They were expected to be calm and prestigious in this sort of situation, they were trained to fight titans after all, but how could anyone remain calm? Death was all around them, the burning stench of smoke and blood filled their systems, and there was little-to-no hope of getting out alive.

All Eren could do was watch with dread-filled and hopeless eyes at the scene before him as his boat departed, Armin and Mikasa at his sides. The sound of water crashing against the boat brought him a tiny hint of calm, though that evaporated as soon as the sound of clashing turned into a sound of splashing from men who jumped towards the boat in an attempt to escape.

It was so crowded, no-one could move without accidentally bumping into another being that sat idly on the boat. Everyone on that boat had seen things Satan himself would tremble after witnessing, and everyone on that boat all held the same feeling of vulnerability. They all held the same knowledge of knowing nothing would be the same.

Their lives would never be the same after this tinted day

Meanwhile, inside the inner gates of wall maria and the Shiganshina District, the blast of cannons shot violently while barely audible shouts from soldiers came from those who remained and protected the gate with their lives.