3• After the memories

Lagos, Nigeria

Jeremy heaved out a deep sigh.

He had been working on his computer the whole evening and when he was finally done, he changed and went to bed, promising himself to call Nathanael again at dawn the following day. Before Jeremy slept, he decided to read his messages on WhatsApp and responded to some of them before he opened Facebook and unfortunately for him, his eyes immediately collided with a publication.

There she was in the middle of two other elegantly dressed woman, Lydia Scarlett Rodriguez. She was on stage looking so beautiful in a golden satin laced gown smiling and waving happily. She looked so confident and queenly like with the crown on her head and the banner on her shoulder. The heading was:The three grand finalists of miss Cameroon 2024.

Jeremy immediately dropped the device down on the bed. He cupped his face with both hands, his thoughts spinning like a tornado.

Four years, four long years have passed and she was still haunting him. He had loved her like he had never loved someone before and he had hurt her like no one.

Scarlett was just Scarlett. A fighter, a warrior and a winner. Jeremy knew she would win that damn title. She deserved it after all what that happened in her life she deserved to finally be happy. Well, after all what he did to her she deserved to be happy even if it means she was never getting back with him again. How would he blame her if she hated him? He had ruined her. He had broken her heart for no good reason just because he was afraid of loving her.

Jeremy could still remember when he had told her that there were over. Scarlett almost knelt down begging him not to leave her claiming that he was everything she had. She told him that without him she was nothing. Jeremy, as stupid as he was, only saw her as a drama queen whereas at the moment, he realized that by then he had a diamond in front of him, which he had the guts to let it go.

When he told Nathanael what had happened, he felicitated him saying it was a good idea. Nathanael used to tell him that they were too different to be together. Keira, on the other hand was very mad. It was normal for Keira to be, after all he had just broken the heart of her best friend. Keira kept telling Jeremy to go and arrange everything before it's too late while Nathanael went on with his encouragement, encouragement which happened to piss the hell out of Keira who drove him out of their house saying that he was just too selfish.

Jeremy sighed and leaned his head on the headboard.

Soon enough, Jeremy regretted what he did and tried to call Scarlett, but she wasn't responding or let's say she blocked him. Jeremy called Keira and asked her to plead on his behalf, but she told him it was better for Jeremy to excuse himself physically. She told him that Scarlett was in their house and that she was soon traveling out of the country.

Jeremy did as Keira said and ran out of his house, took a taxi and pressured the man to drive faster. When he arrived, he paid the driver and ran towards Nathanäel's house. When he knocked at the door, it was Nathanael who opened it.

"Hey," Nathanael had gritted with a smile.

"Please, I want to talk to Scarlett, man. Please just let me see her, please." Jeremy had pleaded.

"She... she's not here. She left already...and please just leave, okay?"

Jeremy was surprised. Keira told him that Scarlett will leave the next day so why is Nathanael laying to him?