4. After the ache

It had been hell.

This past four years had been hell for Scarlett after Jeremy had broken up with her for no good reason. What did he tell her again? He wanted to find a better place?

The guy didn't know, but it was so difficult for to her heal after he had left. It was so difficult to smile, laugh and be happy again after that. She had never imagined that he could do such a thing. She thought they were meant to end together. If she was ever to get married, she believed it would be with him and if she was ever supposed to bare a child, it would have been his because Scarlett believed that Jeremy was her happy ever after, her prince charming, her forever. Surprisingly though and just a blink of an eye, he broke all her beliefs and left.

Scarlett somehow felt like trash. Like she wasn't worthy enough, like she was just a useless girl which has been dumped by the only guy she has ever loved. So she decided to leave the country and she went to Paris to focus on her career as a model not knowing that she was carrying something which would change her tragic life to best causing her to meet the angelic person called Mike, a half French man who would make her believe in love  and in herself again.

After her meeting with Mike, Scarlett swore to never be pained and be broken by Jeremy Richard ever again. She vowed never to think about him again, but here she was four years later voluntarily leading herself back in a sea of memories characterised by him and only him as they look at each other holding onto the same tin of maize.

What was he doing here? Wasn't he supposed to be in Nigeria with Nathanael? Was he following me? Scarlett was perplexed.

"Hey," he stated awkwardly and Scarlett didn't spare him another glance as she left that section, inwardly lamenting that Jeremy had actually taken the last tin of maize she loved so much.

Why was he even taking that? He isn't the type who cook. Or was he? She wandered her feet clicking as she moved.

"Scarlett," Jeremy called from behind, but she continue to walk to the cashier holding her basket in her left hand. "Scarlett," this time his words followed with actions as he held her arm and turned her around softly for him to be able to face her.

Scarlett looked at Jeremy's hand then at his face her expression blank and he immediately retrieved it. "I'm sorry."

Scarlett smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes as she spoke to him, "How ironic that you're sorry over touching me without permission whereas you weren't sorry over tearing my expectations down," she said the words with an even tone, not wanting to let him see that his presence did something more than to anger her. It saddened her.

Jeremy was surprised by her sudden outburst, but he was grateful that she initiated the topic. This was the very reason he hadn't followed Nathanael to Tiko in search of answers concerning the person of Sharon Chikodi and had gotten directly back to Yaounde and though he didn't plan on falling on Scarlett while shopping, he realised that maybe the universe was finally working in his favor.

Jeremy shook his head and parted his lips, "Scarlett I..." the words died down as he looked at her. What was he supposed to say? Sorry? I love you? I miss you? Come back to me and I promise I would never hurt you? I would never chose you over some random life characterized by partying and vulgar girls? Vulgar sex? Sex without meaning? Without friction and enthusiasm? Sex without utter and total satisfaction?

Jeremy's mouth closed back and Scarlett shook her head as if she was expecting him to do what he just did. She expected him to be so lame and weak.