Dared.

~Prolouge~

"Are you sure that you want to do this?" My best friend, Heather, asks me, her eyes scanning my face for any sign that I'm going to change my mind.

I suck in a breath and look down into the deep lake that is beneath me. It's mocking me, saying that I'm a fake and I'll never jump.

I have to do this.

"Yes." I tell her, giving her my best confident smile that I have. "I'm sure."

She sighs, and backs up away from me as I pull off my shirt, ignoring all the immature guys who whoop at me, and I pull off my shorts.

"Please don't do this." Heather pleads. "You'll hurt yourself."

It's hard to see her since it's night, but I can clearly see her pleading green eyes begging me not to jump off of this roof. Just for a second, I actually feel a bit of regret and almost, almost, say forget it, but then when I look over at my boyfriend, David, and see his proud smiling face, it gives me the push I need.

"I won't hurt myself. I'll be fine, Heather."

"Whatever." She narrows her eyes at me. "Just don't come crying to me when you break your legs or something. I won't be there." She flips her long black hair, and stalks off away from me.

Heather has always been this way. I think that's why we've always been friends. We even each other out. I'm the wild one, and she's the one who's always in control, thinking things out before making decisions.

I tie my light brown hair up into a bun and David comes up to me, smiling, and kisses me. "Good luck, Baby."

"Thank you, Cutie." I respond, and peck him on the lips again.

David and I have been dating for about four months. He asked me out at a a party that Heather's older sister, Wanda, was throwing.

I never really knew him before he asked me out, but I decided to give him a chance, and boy am I glad that I did. He's really sweet. I don't know what I'd do without him.

David touches a piece of my hair that won't fit up into my bun. "You should leave your hair down."

"I can't." I tell him, and push his hand away from my hair playfully. "It would get all knotty in the water."

He sticks his bottom lip out and pouts. "Please."

"No." I glance down at the water again, and sigh.

David follows my gaze, and looks back at me. "Are you scared?"

"No...Not me. I'm never scared."

"Liar." He teases, and wraps his arms around my bare waist. "Everyone gets scared. And I bet that right about now, you're freaking out."

"Love birds..Can we finish this please? I have places to be." David looks over at Brian and rolls his eyes.

"We were just talking. Shut up."

Brian grins from the satisfaction that he upset David, and David bends down to whisper in my ear.

"I love you."

"Really?" I ask, pulling my head away from him. "You do?"

David nods his head and pulls away from me.

I want to ask him so many questions, but he inturrupts me before I can say anything.

"We'll talk about this later. I have a surprise for you."

I smile and turn away from everyone.

He loves me! He loves me!

My heart starts racing, and it's not from looking down at the lake that's at least fourty feet below me.

I take a deep breath, before raising my arms above my head and jumping into the blackness of the lake.

If I knew what would've happened after I jumped, I never would've took that dare.