Nightmares Part One

Title: Nightmares
Description: Merlin looks like he's been through hell and back. His face is pale, he has huge eye bags, and he almost never genuinely smiles anymore. Not that Arthur has said anything about it (yet). But, he's worried. Something is wrong. And he's going to find out what. Oh yeah, and they also get kidnapped.
Word Count: 928
Part: 1/3

**********

I wasn't going to make this into multiple parts, but I'm sick right now and am not feeling well enough to finish this. I still wanted to post something today though, so here's this! I'll probably get part two done and posted by next Saturday!

Also I didn't read it looking for mistakes and I know there are some, so please try to ignore them until I can get them fixed!

Merlin looks like he's been through hell and back. His face is pale, he has huge eye bags, and he almost never genuinely smiles anymore. Not that Arthur has said anything about it (yet). But, he's worried. Something is wrong. And he's going to find out what.

~~~~~~~~~~

Merlin was dreading today's  hunting trip. More than usual, being as this one was overnight. Which meant sleeping. Resulting in nightmares. Thankfully, he doesn't make a lot of noise. At least, he doesn't think he does. Hopefully, none of them notice anything. He's not sure he'd be able to answer any questions if he did.

Like, what would he say?
"Oh, yeah, sorry, I get nightmares because I'm a warlock who lives in Camelot and everyday I'm terrified someone will find out and then get me burned at the pyre on my best friend orders."

If his friends noticed anything wrong (which, based on the looks they're giving each other, is pretty likely) they didn't say anything. This was probably due to Lancelot and Mordred, who are very helpful when it comes to protecting his secrets.

"Merlin?" Mordred walks over to him.

"Yeah?"

"We're all worried about you. I agreed to come ask you about it. Just in case it was a result of your, other problems," he whispered.

"Umm, yeah. I just get nightmares and since we're spending the night here... Well, they aren't something I can easily explain away."

"Me and Lancelot can offer to take watch for half the night, just in case."

Merlin smiled weakly, "Thank you, but I can take watch-"

"No. You need to at least try to sleep. I know it's scary. I don't get nightmares quite as frequently, but I do still live in Camelot. If you ever need anyone to talk to... I'm always here." he smiled.

"Okay. I appreciate that."

They quickly finished their conversation and Merlin went to go collect firewood, while Mordred went to update the knights to the best of his ability.

"So, did he say anything?" Gwaine asked.

Mordred hesitated, "Yes, it's as me and Lancelot suspected, but he wouldn't appreciate me sharing. Anyways, once he feels... safe enough to tell the rest of you, it won't be a problem anymore.

I think he took some lessons from Kilgarrah because that is some immaculate cryptic lizard shit.

"Safe enough? Does he not feel safe with us now?" Gwaine asks, speaking what they were all thinking.

"He feels safe... just not with this specific topic."

"But you and Lancelot are okay?" he asks, hurt.

"Lancelot found out by accident and I have the same... issues," he said slowly, "just not to the same degree."

Yeah Mordred for sure talked to Kilgarrah. Maybe he was finally growing on that scaly lizard.

"Uhm, right. Okay. So, are you sure he's... okay?"

Mordred smiled, "He's doing the best he can right now, and taking other things into consideration, he's doing really good."

"He's fine. Honestly."

"Really?"

"He's as fine as he ever is."

This didn't make the knights feel better. If anything, it made them feel worse.

"He doesn't seem fine. If he's always hurting this much, than obviously, something needs to change!"

"It isn't something that you can change. And even if you could, it isn't something that you would know to change. Merlin has been dealing with this, to a degree, for his entire life. Him, and everyone else like him. He knows how to deal with it."

They look at him, still worried for Merlin.

"There isn't anything you can do, except for ignoring it. Just pretend that everything is normal."

Without giving the knights a chance to reply, Mordred walks away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night comes quicker than Merlin would have liked. Nobody puts up a fight when Mordred agrees to take first watch, and Lancelot after him.

After a while, when the fire has died down significantly, and Merlin and Mordred were the only ones not lying down. They (rightfully) assume that everyone else is asleep.

"Merlin, get some rest. I'll be right here to wake you up if you show signs of a nightmare."

Merlin nods and goes to lay down. Being as tired as he was, he fell asleep almost right away. He was woken up by Lancelot a couple hours later, as Mordred had already gone to sleep. He was having another nightmare about the pyre.

"Thanks Lancelot."

If anyone noticed that Merlin looked a little more tired the next morning, they didn't say anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Things went on like this for a couple more months. Merlin was only getting worse. He now looked like death itself. Arthur and the others were very worried, but when they asked Mordred, Lancelot, or even Gaius about it, they only said that "There isn't anything you can do."

"Lancelot!" Arthur called.

"Sire?"

"Please, I need to know what's going on with Merlin."

"I've told you that there isn't any-"

"I know, I know. There isn't anything I can do," Arthur said, "But I'm worried about him. He's only getting worse. I don't care if I can do a damn thing or not. He needs help and he isn't getting that."

"We're trying. Gaius has been- Well, never mind. We've been doing all we can, but this is something only Merlin can work through on his own."

"Please. Tell me what's going on. I want to help."

Lancelot hesitates.

"I'll... ask Merlin. Whatever he's okay with me sharing is all I will share."

And with that, he walks off. Arthur sighs, not liking how helpless he feels in this situation.