Five Times Arthur Tried to Tell Merlin He Knew (And One Time He Did)

I've been waiting for an excuse to use this title lmao. Also sorry this one's a little shorter than the others, I've been working on my book and haven't been writing fanfiction as much :) Hopefully next week's is longer!

Title: Five Times Arthur Tried to Tell Merlin His Knew (And One Time He Did)
Description: Arthur knew about Merlin's magic. It was painfully obvious and he cursed himself for not seeing it sooner. It took him... What, ten years? The only issue now, is telling Merlin he knew. Yeah, Arthur had no idea how to do that.
Word Count: 775
Part: 1/1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first time Arthur tried to tell Merlin he knew, he couldn't gather the courage to start.

It was the same night as his conversation with Gwaine. Gwaine (knowing about Merlin's magic and that Arthur knew) had pushed him to tell Merlin. Arthur couldn't get himself to speak. He was sitting at his desk, Merlin stroking the fire.

He wanted to say: "Merlin, I know about your magic, but it's okay I won't hurt you," or something like that. But he couldn't speak. Not when Merlin stood up to get his nightclothes. Not when he was getting dressed. Not even when Merlin bid him goodnight.

I'll tell him tomorrow, he'd thought, I swear it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The second time Arthur tried to tell Merlin, he couldn't find the right words to say.

"Merlin," he'd said the next morning when Merlin came to wake him up.

"Yes, sire?"

"You know..." he faded off.

"I know a lot of things."

Arthur ignored him.

"You know, I've been thinking..." he stopped again, unable to finish his sentence.

"Careful sire. Think too hard and you might just hurt yourself."

"I've been thinking..." he started.

Merlin raised an eyebrow.

"I know that you-" he cut himself off.

How was he supposed to do this? What was he supposed to say?

"That I what, sire?" Merlin asked, using his title as more of an insult.

"That you put another hole in my belt, which was completely unnecessary by the way!"

Merlin, knowing that he hadn't put another hole in his belt (and that Arthur didn't actually believe he did) went along with it anyways, figuring that Arthur chickened out of saying something else. Merlin sure can relate to that.

"You're belt was simply one hole shy of perfection."

I'll tell him tomorrow, he'd thought, I swear it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The third time Arthur tried to tell him, he couldn't get the words to leave his tongue.

"Merlin," he'd said again, two days after promising Gwaine he'd confront Merlin soon.

It was midday. Arthur was working on paperwork, and Merlin was writing a speech Arthur would need to give.

"Yes, sire?" Merlin responded, just like he had before.

"I-"

He paused.

"I know... It's-" he stuttered, "I'm not- Your..."

He couldn't get the words out of his mouth, no matter how he tried to phrase the sentence: I know you have magic.

"Arthur?"

"You really are an idiot, aren't you, Merlin?"

"And you're a- a green old toad."

Arthur continued the banter, half focused.

I'll tell him tomorrow, he'd thought, I swear it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fourth time Arthur tried to talk to his manservant, he doubted his words.

"Merlin," he'd said.

"Yes, sire?" was the reply, yet again.

Arthur had decided just to blurt it out, but began to doubt that.

He's going to panic, he thought, I need to transition him into it.

But how?

"You okay?" Merlin asked.

Arthur didn't remember what he'd said in response. He only remembered cursing himself, thinking, I'll tell him tomorrow, I swear it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fifth time Arthur tried to tell Merlin that he knew, he was interrupted.

Arthur knew what to say this time. He was going to reassure him first and then tell Merlin that he knew about his magic.

"Merlin," he started, just like every other day.

"Yes, sire?"

"You've always been a close friend."

Merlin raised an eyebrow and Arthur ignored his surprised looks.

"Don't look at me like that, I'm serious. I may not say it often enough, but you are," he paused, "But, I know-"

Right at that moment Leon peeked his head into Arthur's chambers, needing to inform them about some thing or another. Arthur sighed.

I'll tell him tomorrow, he'd thought, I swear it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sixth time Arthur tried to speak to him, he finally got the words out.

The conversation began with a simple, "Merlin," like every other time.

"Yes, sire?"

"You have been, and are, a trusted friend. So," he paused, wanting to say more, but quickly continuing after remembering how quickly the other conversations ended, "I know you have magic."

Merlin's eyes widened.

"But it's okay!" he hastily reassured, "I've had time to think about it. I figured, if someone as pure as you was born with magic, it can't be all that evil. Right?"

"H-how did you know I was born with my magic?"

"That doesn't matter right now. All that matters is that I do. And I think you need to fill me in on... everything. That ban isn't going to repel itself."

"You're going to repel the ban?" Merlin asked hopefully.

"Merlin, you're my best friend. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you.

The End