four

HOPE HAS FALLEN

"I still can't believe he's your kid, in all honesty."

Poseidon looks to Hera with his brows furrowed, confusion written plainly on his face. The goddess shrugs, resting her cheek on her fist while watching the magical vision play out.

"I mean"—she blinks in gentle surprise when the silent image of Polyphemus apparently hollers Grover before continuing—"I- I kind of get how, but I don't really get . . . how."

Demeter leans over, pushing her hair off her shoulder. "None of us do. It's weird."

"And it's like that with basically all of them, you know?" Hera says, referring to the amount of monsters that Poseidon has fathered.

"Yep. Really weird."

"Okay—" Poseidon starts, hoping to cut their conversation short, but he pauses upon finding himself with nothing to say. Hades scoffs in amusement at his brother's weak attempt to defend himself.

Demeter jumps in surprise when Hecate enters the room, the large doors slamming open with a gust of air.

Hades bristles at the feel of electricity in the air, rippling shocks that run through his flesh—the source of which, he realizes, is her magic. He tilts his head with intrigue at the sudden strength in Hecate's power, and he stands warily.

Still meditating, Persephone fights the urge to open her eyes as the hair on her arms pricks with static, her veins pulsing quicker.

"Welcome back," Hades greets, shoulders tight with caution.

Zeus looks at him with confusion before glancing at Hecate, unaware of the issue. Hera's gaze shifts between Hecate and Hades, her brow furrowing at the sorceress' relaxation which somehow causes the necromancer's stiffness.

Poseidon, seemingly indifferent, leans forward. "Did your trip give you any answers?"

Hecate's hand brushes over a patch of her cloak, vibrations shooting through her fingertips. Hades eyes the movement carefully.

"Yes and no," Hecate answers, glancing to her darkened corner of the chamber. "I need to keep researching."

"Where was it that you went, again?" Hades asks, his apprehension clear as he clenches his jaw.

Hecate's eyebrow arches slightly, and she pulls her hand away from where the moly resides at her side.

She watches as Hades' eyes flick to the motion, furthering her understanding. "I needed to consult with someone," she says, intentionally withholding the specifics. "They helped me understand what must be done to combine your abilities, but not how to do it."

Hades nods. "Did they give you anything?"

"Yes."

"May I ask what?"

"No."

Hades' eyes narrow as Zeus' focus shifts to Hecate with sudden unease.

The goddess sighs. "Not yet. It will only lead to questions that I do not have time to answer. Now, if you'll excuse me"—she sends a pointed glance at her corner—"I have some work to do." Without another word, she strides towards the shadows, Hades' gaze following her every step.

Persephone stiffens when the sorceress nears, her eyes fluttering open. Her heart thuds when the feel of Hecate's magic stifles the air around her, sudden and great. She glances up in concern, watching as Hecate sighs with resignation.

"You'll know," is all she says to the queen. Persephone furrows her brow, contemplating whether to fully trust Hecate on the matter.

She merely closes her eyes again, rolling her shoulders and refocusing her mind on her daughter, mentally prodding at their blocked connection.