twenty

A CURRENT WORTH FIGHTING

(Y/N) frowns as she steps out of the infirmary, leaning back against the wrap-around deck of the Big House to face Will.

"Are you sure?" she asks, picking at her palm while Will offers a dismissive shrug. "The fact that it's not changing must mean something."

The son of Apollo stuffs his hands in his pockets. "She might've just overworked herself. That, or she's probably got a virus of some sort," he says, looking back at Lou Ellen. The younger daughter of Hecate lies on one of the nearby infirmary beds, her face pale as she sleeps. "The symptoms check out. Fatigue, nausea, lightheadedness."

"She isn't running a fever," (Y/N) points out, crossing her arms.

Will sighs. "Not everyone does. Look, some things don't need magic to fix—they need rest. She'll be all right, (Y/N)."

The daughter of Persephone purses her lips, her eyes shadowed with concern. "It was just so sudden. She seemed fine yesterday."

"Sometimes these things happen suddenly," Will says, again shrugging. "Besides, we're not exempt from the illness and weakness that come from being human. Things pile on, and the body knows when it's had enough. It also knows when it's better. (Y/N)"—he steps forward, placing his hands on her shoulders and squeezing—"she's going to be fine."

(Y/N) relaxes, sighing. "If you say so," she concedes, and Will smiles.

"I do say so. Now, go." He gestures to the main area of camp, stepping back. "Your stress isn't going to help her recover. I'll keep you updated on any changes."

Reluctantly, (Y/N) nods. "All right," she says, rolling her eyes at Will's ushering 'shoo' motions. "I'll see you later, kid."

"Bye." Will crosses his arms, watching intently as (Y/N) walks around the deck to the stairs, stepping back into the infirmary when she walks deeper into the camp.

The soft rhythm of hooves against grass catches (Y/N)'s attention, and she turns with intrigue at the familiar pattern. She tilts her head at the sight of Percy walking with Hesperos, the animal's head tossing as he lets out quiet huffs of discomfort. The stirrups on his saddle sway back and forth thanks to Hesperos's constant shifting, and Percy pets his mane, muttering assurances to the Pegasus.

The son of Poseidon looks to (Y/N), noticing the incredulity swirling in the girl's eyes.

She raises an eyebrow.

Percy sighs, gesturing to Hesperos. "Can I take him for my trip?"

"Sure," (Y/N) says, her words cold. "Thanks for asking."

The son of Poseidon gives her a bland smile, moving to continue his walk to the border. Hesperos flutters his wings when the stirrups hit his sides, and (Y/N) frowns.

"He doesn't like wearing the saddle for more than a continuous hour," she calls to Percy, who pauses. "It's too restrictive, after what happened with Evander. So, when you get there, make sure to take it off."

Percy takes in Hesperos's state, gnawing on his lower lip in consideration. Eventually, he glances at (Y/N), offering her a nod. The girl gives a small wave to Hesperos, who whinnies in response, before she resumes her walk to the cabins. Percy sighs, his focus attached sadly to where she'd been standing.

Hesperos snorts, nudging the boy's shoulder.

"I know," he grumbles, gesturing for the Pegasus to keep walking.

— x —

"Listen up!" Percy announces, his words ringing loudly as he slams open the doors to the Olympians' meeting chamber. His muscles remain tight as authority radiates from his body, approaching the gods while his eyes nearly gleam with power and determination. Each step he takes sends rumbles through the stone floor, and the air grows thick with suffocating humidity.