thirty

⚠️
this chapter contains mentions/descriptions of choking. please read with discretion.

🔞
things get a teensy bit ... steamy lol
———

THE HEAVY TRUTH OF EVERYTHING

Percy swallows past the lump in his throat, his heart racing with anticipation as he makes his way towards the Persephone cabin. He sticks his hands in his jacket pockets, his nails digging into his palms.

He just wants to talk to (Y/N). He could barely believe how much he'd missed her. But after the heartbreak in her eyes when she saw him upon returning to camp, after the dream that made him admit everything he'd been holding back, the thought of facing her terrifies him.

It comforts him to know that throughout their time apart, she had continually been open to engaging with him. She'd even encouraged it, despite how Percy would act against his better instincts and turn her down. And although he decides to make the first move now, he cannot trust himself to make the right decisions in front of her.

His jaw tightens, and he tries to steel himself for whatever interaction will occur. Tossed about by the wind, his hair tickles his forehead and pulls him from his distracted state. When he sees (Y/N) standing outside her cabin, heat rushes up his neck.

She leans against the railing that lines her front stairs, arms crossed in front of her. Exposed to the crisp air, her muscles flex and tighten with each occasional gust of wind, bracing against the chill even though her abilities allow for warmth. She presses her lips together in a faint frown, nodding at Chiron, who speaks with her. Between them, the centaur holds open what appears to be a compact for transportable Iris Messages—a rainbow hovers between the compact faces, and as Percy nears, he makes out Apollo's image.

The god's presence in the conversation piques Percy's interest. Hearing Chiron's distant voice say 'Tablet of the Arai' captivates it.

(Y/N) sighs, scratching at her temple while beginning to answer. As she speaks, her gaze fixates on Percy in his approach—following her line of sight, Chiron turns, and Percy offers a short wave.

"This is actually perfect," Chiron says, and (Y/N) folds her lips inward when he waves over the boy with an emphatic nod. "Percy! Come join us."

The son of Poseidon gives (Y/N) a tight smile as he joins the small huddle, deciding to hold off from mentioning his true intention for approaching her cabin. She looks at him with intrigue, evidently understanding that his presence wasn't a coincidence. Her jaw tightens, and she shifts her focus away.

"Hello, again," Apollo greets, and Percy looks down to the rainbow.

"Hi," he responds.

"So, Percy," Chiron says, looking between him and (Y/N), "we were just discussing the Tablet's return. (Y/N) has done some more research—and a bit of magic—and has located the Temple of Moros, where it should be taken. She and Apollo were planning to go. You helped retrieve the Tablet, so would you be willing to join them?"

Percy blinks. "I mean, su—"

"According to the lore," (Y/N) interrupts, and Percy furrows his eyebrows at the ice in her voice, "only those who the Tablet was granted to are expected to return it. Since that's a mortal and a god, it would have to be me and Apollo. We went over this, Chiron."

Slightly offended, Percy narrows his eyes. He examines the set of her mouth and shoulders, hoping to gain an understanding of her thoughts. She lifts her chin under his scrutiny.