thirty-four

A BIGGER PICTURE

"What is that?"

Reyna looks to the treeline as campers let out exclamations of awe and fear. She draws her sword when a mass of shadow rushes into the light, hovering for a moment. Camp Jupiter's second praetor, Jason, pushes through the collection of campers to stand prepared at Reyna's side. The shadows fall away, revealing their master.

A few campers stiffen at the power that imbues the air, but the sight of the girl makes the praetors instantly relax.

A burst of gold passes along the grass when her feet touch the ground. It follows a wide path, rushing over the memorial stones in one corner of the camp. A circle of red poppies regains its life. The camper standing before the stone releases a gasp, and he turns on his heel.

Forcing a small smile, (Y/N) clasps her hands together. "Hi," she greets, taking a step forward. "You don't mind helping someone who needs a place to crash for a while, do you?"

Reyna's face breaks into a grin, and she immediately moves to embrace the daughter of Persephone. (Y/N) hurriedly leans away from Reyna's sword as she accepts the hug.

"You don't even have to ask," Reyna says. "It's good to see you again."

"Thank you. I know I've been out of touch for a while." (Y/N) again moves out of the way as Reyna sheathes her weapon. "Sorry for the surprise visit."

Jason steps forward, nodding at (Y/N). "It's no problem at all," he assures, holding his arm out.

(Y/N) shakes his hand. Intrigue builds within her at something in his gaze—mysterious and unreadable, but kind. He smiles at her, and she pushes away her curiosity.

Thudding footsteps catch her attention, and she looks in their direction. A familiar, broad-shouldered figure joins the sparse crowd, meeting her eye when Jason steps out of the way.

Julius's breath catches. Awe overtakes his expression.

Despite the lump in her throat and the pain in her heart and the sorrow that makes her feel like throwing up, (Y/N) does her best to appear at ease. She offers a smile to the son of Mars, who returns it. Reverence glints in his eye, and she tenses with discomfort.

Reyna claps twice, gathering the attention of the campers in the area. "You all remember (Y/N) (Y/L/N), daughter of Proserpina, yes?" she asks, gesturing at the particular half-blood.

(Y/N) swallows, adjusting her backpack's straps while waving her fingers at the crowd. She shuffles her feet, trying to ignore her agitation that stems from the campers' visible amazement. For weeks after she'd received her new powers, she'd tried to tone down the divinity that radiated from her. However, controlling part of her soul in such a way proved difficult. She could stop using her power, could be worn out or under the suppressing influence of Asphodel, but people still felt it.

It was part of her, but it was alienating.

Percy was the same. After he'd honed his abilities and developed his skill, it was like his parentage actively tried to make itself known. His strength was untameable. It influenced everything without a whisper of effort.

(Y/N)'s gut twists harder at the thought of him. She had just said goodbye, yet it felt like half of herself was gone.

Over the past few years, she'd felt their connection evolve. Before coming to terms with her feelings, she'd convinced herself that it was a bond of friendship. That she cared for him no more than she did Grover or Annabeth or Will or anyone she'd known for much longer.