thirty-three

EVERYTHING THAT COULD EVER BE LOVED

It was happening again.

She was afraid.

Of every emotion she could feel, (Y/N) had long held a hatred for fear.

But the rumbling waves of terror and dread soon ease when she meets the eyes of the ocean's master. Percy gives her a small nod of reassurance.

(Y/N) closes her eyes, taking a deep breath. And the words spill out of her—the description of every sight from her dream, the feeling of culpability that had lingered since the moment she'd seen her image.

Chiron stumbles back, grabbing the edge of (Y/N)'s bookshelf for support. Annabeth curls into herself, a quiet whimper escaping her throat. Grover just stares, his jaw tightening.

"Percy saw it, too," (Y/N) finishes, glancing at the son of Poseidon. "So we at least know that it's going to happen. And it's going to happen here."

Grover narrows his eyes at the tentative pause that follows. Annabeth sits up straighter.

(Y/N)'s inhale quivers. "I think I need to leave."

Percy's eyes widen, and he looks at her with incredulity. Disapproval washes over his face, but she notices the emotion that peeks through the background of his expression: hurt.

Annabeth and Grover fervently voice their protests, and (Y/N) waits for them to quiet before she explains herself.

"It's not because I don't trust any of you," she says, looking pointedly at Percy. "I want to stay, and I want to work through this with you all—"

"So don't leave," Annabeth interjects, her words sharp and cool.

"—but whatever is going to happen will happen while I'm still here." (Y/N) turns to Annabeth, whose eyes glimmer with a sheen of fury. "If I stay away from Camp Half-Blood, away from the people who'll be affected, then we can put it off long enough to learn about what we're actually dealing with. If I'm not here, it can't happen. And I trust you, all of you, enough to help me figure it all out, even if I'm gone."

She looks at Chiron, silently pleading for him to understand. Her friends turn their attention to the centaur, waiting for his response.

Chiron says nothing. His shoulders droop with resignation as he looks at the daughter of Persephone.

"No," Grover breathes.

Percy's fists tremble at his sides. "You can't be serious."

"Blue—"

"No!" he exclaims, stepping towards Chiron. "She needs our help, and you don't even think she should stay? We can figure this out together! Why are you so okay with letting her leave?"

"We don't even know what leads up to it," Annabeth seethes, her eyes trained on (Y/N). "You're both making this decision without the knowledge to support it."

Chiron sighs. With a sense of calm that visibly furthers Percy and Annabeth's rage, he clasps his hands in front of him. "The will of the Fates cannot be avoided. If we have the ability to give ourselves more time, especially with the well-being of campers at stake, then I believe such an opportunity should not be overlooked."

"Please," (Y/N) says, stepping forward, "listen. Annie, you're right. We don't know everything. Percy—yes, we can figure this out together. So I'm going to wait."

The glint in Annabeth's fiery eyes begins to soften. Percy's muscles lose their tension. Grover swallows, grinding his teeth with apprehension.

"But I need you all to understand that if I am given any further reason to believe I am a threat to your safety, then I will go, whether I have your support or not." (Y/N)'s hands begin to shake, and she curls them into fists. She takes a deep breath, steadying her words. "For as long as I can, I will stay here. We will work through this together. And when the time comes, I will tell you my plan."