You. Did. What.

(Please read the author's note at the end, thx<3
Once again the songs do not relate to the chapter, I just like sharing some masterpieces from time to time)

"hey, steve... I miss you... call me when you can yeah? Life's... good. Yeah, life's good. Everything's okay- don't even worry about calling me back just- stay safe."

I sighed and put the phone back. He hasn't responded in god knows how long. Did he switch phones and not tell me? No, he would've told me- right?  Am I being annoying? Does he not like me anymore? We haven't had a proper conversation in a while...

What if Jonathan is right? What if he's cheating on me? Why am I listening to Jonathan he's a pessimist that does drugs and has never liked Steve. I mean they got in a fight a while back, I doubt you'd like anyone that wanted your girlfriend. But Steve doesn't like Nancy right? I mean he's dating me- you don't date people when you like someone else that's- that's crazy and mean and you're using that person to forget someone else-...

The sound of the telephone interrupted my thoughts. I walked over to it and picked it up holding it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"hey, y/n/n?"

"oh, Steve. Hi"

"hey. Uh, we need to talk..."

"oh"

Yeah, he doesn't want me. He's breaking up with me. Of course, he is.

"listen it's not-"

"it's not you. it's me?"

"what?"

"you're breaking up with me, aren't you?"

"y/n/n-"

"it's okay. I saw it coming, I get it long-distance relationships don't always work out and you must be bored-"

"Y/n-"

"Bye Steve"
I put the phone back on the wall and hung up. What the hell did I just do?!?! I just broke up with Steve- he didn't even break up with me I broke up with him. God, what did I just do?

I panic dialed Steve's number and waited for him to answer. No answer.
Called again.
No answer.
And again.
No answer.
Okay, let's try another number yeah ok.
"Hello?"
"Dustin! Thank god you answered. Steve isn't answering his phone and I'm panicking."
"Maybe he's at work or something, just wait for him to call you back"
"Well um- I kinda just- you know- broke up with him"
"You did what."
"I thought he wanted to break up with me so I just- didn't let him finish and did it before he could...?"
"Y/n oh my god!"
"I know- I know I- I'm gonna go to Hawkins."
"What?!"
"Yeah, I'll see you there, make sure he doesn't get with someone else? Okay bye."
I hung up and ran to my room packing a few clothes and took my money. I ran to Joyce's room and opened the door,
"I'm going to Hawkins"
"Honey, what-"
"I made a dumb decision and I can't- I can't fix this without going in person, Joyce. I have to like- go now."
"Are you sure??"
"Yes, I have like a lot of money saved up and some money from my mom and stuff. I'll be fine. Dad's cabin wasn't sold or anything and I have the key."
"Um alright. Be safe, okay?"
"Yes, tell El to call me, please."
And like that, I just dashed out of the house and drove to the airport before getting on the earliest plane to Hawkins.

———————————
OMG I PROMISED TO UPLOAD THIS LIKE- A MONTH AGO IM SO SORRY😭😭
I was kinda like figuring out the story out (totally not figuring out my life and not y/n's)
Anyways so.
I decided to make Y/n leave to Hawkins a little before Mike goes to California so she will not be there when El and the skating rink thing happens, I feel like Y/n should've been there but I think it'll be best if she's with everyone else in Hawkins before things get bad bad.
One last thing, please keep the past chapters season 4 spoiler-free or put a warning before saying the spoiler. And please also put warnings for Vol.2 in Vol.1 chapters because people might have not gotten the chance to read them yet, so yeah<33 thanks for reading.