You/Mitsuri Kanroji - Listen Before I Go(Angst)

It started out with quick hugs

It started out with quick hugs. Then it moved on to longer hugs and even kisses on the cheek. You never really paid it any attention. It was part of Mitsuri's personality to be a touchy-feely person. It would've been wrong of you to tell her to continue hugging her friends or kissing their cheeks because of a silly insecurity.

Mitsuri always assured you that you were the one for her and you believer her. You pushed your insecurities deep down until they never showed up again. They threatened to come out when you would see the lingering touches between Mitsuri and Obanai but you simply brushed them off. There was no point on being insecure or jealous when she only had eyes for you.

X

"Do you ever wonder if there's something more between them?"

You laugh at Shinobu's words. Tears rolled down your cheeks at the ridiculous question Shinobu had asked.

"Forgive Shinobu but that's silly. He's just her best friend. I have no reason to think that there could be something more between the two of them."

You walked off to join the other Hashira's and Shinobu remained staring at the two of them. They had fooled you but not her. She could see that something had developed between the two of them. If you weren't so blinded by your love for her, you would've noticed Mitsuri giving him the same smile she reserved for you. You would've seen the lingering touches and quick 'innocent' kisses. Shinobu wasn't close to you but she felt it was up to her to make you see what was really going on.

X

You were beginning to get annoyed by how insistent Shinobu was being about Mitsuri and Obanai. It was starting to feel like she wanted to break the two of you up.

"That's enough, Shinobu. Mitsuri is not cheating on me. For the millionth time, the two of them are just best friends. Sometimes I wonder if you have ulterior motives for telling me these lies. I've known Mitsuri longer than you have and I know she wouldn't do anything like that."

Mitsuri and Obanai could kiss and you would still call them friends. It was pointless for Shinobu to continue wasting her breath when you were so stubborn.

"I tried to warn you, (y/n). Don't come to me when the truth comes out."

X

Your last conversation with Shinobu planted a seed of doubt on you. You began to observe the way Mitsuri and Obanai interacted. The longer you watched, the more you could see what Shinobu was talking about. It was a difficult pill to swallow but you had seen it with your own eyes.

As you thought about what everything that the two of you had been through, you considered pretending to be clueless. Mitsuri was the love of your life and you could've picture yourself with anyone else.

You pretended to be in the dark for a few weeks. Then Mitsuri told you everything. She was in tears, begging for you to give her a chance to explain everything. She didn't have to beg much for you to accept.