Chapter 8: Roundtable Respite #1

A/N: Heya everyone! This chapter is the first of what is intended to be something of a staple in this fic called the Roundtable Respites. Near the end of every 'Act' of this story, one of these will happen. As such, you all can consider this the final chapter of Act 1 of Maidenless No Longer! Next chapter takes us to Liurnia by the Lakes and starts Act 2.

Thanks for reading!

-x-X-x-

"Irina!"

Irina startles, her father's voice suddenly right in her ear. Though, he doesn't sound frantic or panicked, for all that his tone is excited and agitated. She stills herself, her breath hitching in anticipation of what he has to say to her. Could it be?

"He's here."

The blind girl brightens up immediately, her hands clasping in her lap at that news. She and her father had traveled to Roundtable Hold, just as Edgar said they would. They had found welcome there, and safety within the halls as its guests. They themselves might not be Tarnished, but neither are they adversaries or enemies.

Irina has been getting used to the new accommodations ever since they arrived, staying close to her father's side, but always waiting, always hoping...

"Sir Tarnished! A moment of your time, if you please!"

When her father calls out to the Tarnished who saved her, who saved both of them, Irina doesn't quite know what to do. She feels his approach though, even if she can't see him. As before, he does not speak... and yet, she finds herself basking in his presence all the same. There's a warmth that fills the air, even greater than her father's warmth.

"I know not if you remember us, but- ah, you do then? Good, that's good. Irina and I had hoped to see you here, in truth. This place... it's a safe haven not just for your kind, but us as well, isn't it?"

The Tarnished must nod, because her father's tone takes on a musing tone.

"Is it true then? The rumors? They say you defeated Lord Godrick and claimed his Great Rune."

Another beat of silence. Edgar's voice sounds... strained and conflicted. Irina supposes she understands why. Her father was given his post by Lord Godrick. Castle Morne was only their home because the Lord of Limgrave deemed it so. It makes sense, that her father would be unsure of himself, and unsure of how to feel about the Tarnished's victory. But for Irina? For Irina, there is only one emotion in all of this. Gratitude.

"... I... see. Well, I..."

Before her father can say another word, Irina reaches down, finds his hand, and grabs it tightly, giving it a hard squeeze as she speaks in the direction, she feels the Tarnished's warmth coming from.

"Thank you, Sir Tarnished. Thank you for saving me and for bringing me to my father. Thank you for retrieving that sword, that my father might no longer be bound by duty. Thank you for giving us this second chance together."

She speaks with utmost sincerity and certainty, her every word hammering with earnest honesty. But at the same time, she has a little reproach in her tone, directed at her father. For the longest time, Irina had thought the world of her father. Edgar was a stalwart warrior, and a strong man. And most importantly of all, he was her father. Or so she'd always believed.

While she'd forgiven him since, Irina would never forget that he'd put his duty to Lord Godrick above staying by her side. If not for this Tarnished, she would have died. This, the blind young woman is now sure of. Sitting in a place of safety such as Roundtable Hold, knowing what she knows now... there isn't a doubt in Irina's mind that her father's duty would have gotten the both of them killed, more than likely.