Chapter 31: Fia, Deathbed Companion

A/N: Ah, Fia. Long time no see. What's that? You think the Tarnished is here to kill you? Hah! Don't know him very well, do you?

-x-X-x-

She had known to expect him... but even still, tis hard to watch him cut down the ghosts of her champions. Sorcerer Rogier, Lionel the Lionhearted, and all the rest. They were her boon companions, once upon a time. They, all of them... she carried them with her always. And yet, Fia the Deathbed Companion lived, while they did not.

Was that fair? She truly did not know. Fairness, righteousness, justice... the world honestly seemed to be in such short supply of all of these things. And now... the Tarnished with the singularly impressive amount of vigor had come for her. As he approaches where she sits in front of her Lord's corpse, Fia puts on a brave face, even a faint smile in the face of what might very well be her death.

"Ah... there you are. I knew you would come."

Tilting her head to the side, she looks at the Tarnished, peering at him closely. He gave good hugs, but that meant nothing now. Are they to be enemies?

"What is it you intend? To deny us, and our ways? Like the rest of the dogmatic brutes of the Golden Order?"

To her surprise, the Tarnished shakes his head and sheathes his weapon. Her lips part, as he steps forward and descends to his knees. With arms stretched out, he hugs her, laying his head upon her bosom right then and there. Fia's breath hitches, as she feels his vigor call to her. He is so very strong. It's always been enough to take her breath away. This Tarnished, for all that he is so full of Life, astounds her even now.

"You are... an odd one, aren't you?"

He nuzzles her. She tries to ignore how good it feels, though a steady heat builds across her face.

"I-I am the guardian of Those Who Live in Death."

She lets out a shuddering breath.

"They call me a foul and rotten witch. Yet... you still wish to be held by me?"

He nods, which of course means more rubbing into her bosom. Is he doing it on purpose? Given what she knows of the other women at Roundtable Hold and their activities with this Tarnished... yes, he probably is. A lecher to be sure, but also a brave and surprisingly honorable man. Fia's lips curl into a fond smile, and she rests a hand upon the back of his head. And sure, she sups a little bit on his vigor as they embrace... but is that truly so terrible? He has so much of it and has offered it freely to her.

... Is it possible that she was hasty to think him an enemy, or at least not an ally? Is it possible that she misjudged him entirely? Truthfully, she had come here because she was sure it was over. After being found out by that hunter in Roundtable Hold, Fia had known her time was limited.

She had thought she'd failed, and that her mission was done. Indeed, she'd come here to wait for the hunters to catch up, anticipating one final battle where she used the power of this place to give as good as she got. It was her duty to defend her Lord with all she had left in her, after all.

... And then he'd shown up and torn through her Champions in moments. So much for a good showing and one last stand. Still... still. Voice turning somewhat breathless, Fia leans in close and whispers into the Tarnished's ear.

"Have you... have you ever seen a hallowbrand? When the first of the demigods died, his flesh was marked with the half-wheel wound of the centipede. Godwyn's hallowbrand has long since been recovered at the Roundtable hold... but there is another hallowbrand out there, somewhere."

Leaning back, Fia makes sure she can gaze down into the Tarnished's eyes, watching as he in turn tilts his head back and stares up at her silently, unquestioningly.