Chapter 22: Millicent

A/N: Back to Millicent, because even our poor infected red head needs some attention~

-x-X-x-

Embarrassingly enough, she's still at the Overlook a day later, when the Tarnished returns to her. Millicent hears him coming on that Spectral Steed of his and can't help but flush as he dismounts and begins making his way over to stand beside her.

She'd made such a big deal about her plans, hadn't she? She'd told him she was going to seek out Malenia and the Haligtree. Instead, here she was, having not moved an inch from this spot. It was... it wasn't that she was scared or anything like that. Truly, she wasn't. But at the same time... it was a lot for a woman with one arm to tackle.

Even still, she'd been squandering the Tarnished's gift to her, hadn't she? By just standing around, she was wasting the needle that even now pushed up under her ribs and quelled the Scarlet Rot within her. The infection was still present, but the pain was absent, and with a clear mind and a body that didn't fight her at every turn, she should have been able to make plenty of progress in the past day.

Hmph, the fact that he'd known to find her here meant either he didn't think much of her, or was checking in to see if she was falling behind, didn't it? Millicent purses her lips together, and ducks her head as the Tarnished stands beside her.

"I'm sorry, I-!"

And then he holds out his hand, and her breath catches in her throat. The words she'd intended to say, words of apology, of begging for him to understand... they die on her lips, never to see the light of day. Not because she thinks he wouldn't listen... but because he's holding out a golden arm towards her. One that terminates in a right hand with five functional fingers.

It is a prosthesis that even to Millicent's unpracticed eyes, is clearly a masterwork of craftsmanship. More than that... her breath comes out in a shuddering rasp, as she looks from the golden arm to the Tarnished, eyes wide.

"Are you... giving me this arm?"

She feels stupid for even asking naught but a moment later, and yet... and yet its so unbelievable, she HAS to clarify. While she doesn't think that her savior is the sort of man to... to play games with her, and dangle something like this in front of her without having any intention of giving it to her, it's still a little unbelievable. She was just lamenting her lack of a sword-arm and...

Ah. As the Tarnished smiles and nods to her, Millicent realizes this is her fault. Her lips were too loose, and by suggesting that she be made whole again, she had prompted this kind, caring warrior to seek out a prosthesis for her. But... surely not. This was far too much for someone like her. She couldn't accept.

Except, he clearly isn't waiting for her answer. Taking her by her organic hand, he leads her over to the same rock they'd kissed upon a day before and sits her back down again. Millicent can only blush and avert her gaze as he sits down next to her and begins slowly peeling away the bandages and blood-soaked cloth from her empty shoulder, where her missing arm should be.

Needing to fill the silence with something, Millicent bites her lower lip and speaks.

"... I thank you. I am in your debt, yet again, good sir."

Stopping his work, the Tarnished lifts one hand to her face, gently caressing her cheek as he turns her to face him and solemnly shakes his head. Millicent just scoffs. He's trying to act like this is no big deal? Like she doesn't know what he must have gone through to get this for her? There are not many golden arms just... lying around the Lands Between.

Judging by the wear and tear on this one, the Tarnished did not go and find Malenia and pull it straight off of her body in order to bring it back to Millicent. No, if he had, she doubted he would keep such a thing from her either. Rather... this was an old prosthesis of the one-armed Valkyrie. There was no doubt in Millicent's mind though, that this had once adorned Malenia, Blade of Miquella. However, how long it had been since that time... she knew not.