Scene 1

Scene 1

The Scene opens with William Dunton stood upstage, a newspaper in his hands. He is in a smart pair of trousers, a white vest and classic suspenders.
He turns on the radio which plays 'Roll 'Em' by Benny Goodman softly in the background. He sneers down at Eloise, his wife who is sat quietly sewing a patch into his jacket, before walking towards the coffee table and taking a seat. William is cold man with a stern face buried in the news story he is reading, he turns his nose up at an article about the war.

Eloise, William's wife, is now sat opposite her husband, there is an awkward silence for an uncomfortably long time. She in dressed in a long black skirt and blouse. Her hair is lightly curled with the front pieces pinned up.
Eloise, is an intelligent woman who unfortunately gave up her chance to attend the University of Bristol to study Maths in order to look after William. Sensible and caring, Eloise is saddened by her role as a career for her husband but holds a strong appearance.

The scene is split with Evelyn sat stage right, writing a letter. Evelyn is an upper class widowed woman, who spends her days desperately looking to fill her boredom after her husband died in the war. In her early thirties, Evelyns exterior is perfectly positioned with not a single hair out of place, not a crease in her blouse. This perfect appearance covers the glint of mischief in her eyes.

Stephanie enters holding a small collection of letters. She is dressed in a pretty blue floral dress with her hair braided across the top, with the curls draping over her shoulders.
Stephanie is the younger sister of Eloise at just 18 years old. Although naive, she is ambitious and holds a strong moral compass. She has a great heart and a lot of love to give which leads to her often feeling torn between doing what is right or saving someone's feelings.

She mutters to herself as she stands between William and Eloise.

Stephanie
Mr Dunton... Mr Dunton... Mr Dunton...Mrs Dunton! Eloise you have a letter!

William
Give that here.

(William snatches the letter and mutters under his breath)
Who could possibly be sending you a letter?

(He reads over the letter, he huffs and reluctantly hands the letter back over to Eloise. Eloise is unsure contrasting to Stephanie's excitement)

Stephanie
Oh isn't this exciting!  What does it say?

Eloise
Goodness! It's signed by Lady Evelyn Spencer?

Stephenie
Quickly! Read it aloud!

Eloise
Patience dear sister...It says...

(Split scene takes place)

Eve
Dear Mrs Eloise Dunton and Miss Stephanie Boyd.
It is with the upmost importance that you attend a gathering at my household at noon this coming Sunday.

Steph
What? Upmost impo....

(William cuts her off)

William
Ha! Don't get too jolly- I suppose that sorry widow is growing close to dying of boredom. (Scoffs

Eloise
Oh William she must be heartbroken! 
(Reads on)
Oh look...

Eve
Please be aware, the meeting is subject to written invitation only. Welcome attendees consist of Mrs Eloise Dunton and Miss Stephanie Boyd,

Steph
She wants our acquaintance!

Eve
Mrs Maggie Harris and Miss Marie Preston.

Maggie enters from up stage right, Marie from upstage left, , both holding letters. They both hastily walk across to the opposite, seemingly reading their invitation.

William
(Looking visibly shaken at the mention of Marie)
In that case I will be escorting you to this meeting. Can't have gaggles of impressionable women being summoned to such a mysterious occasion alone.

Eloise
I think I can handle myself, William.

William
Listen to you! My own caring wife wishes to leave me stranded in the house while she has a tea party with (mocking)  "the lady on the hill".
(Pause) Where is my toast?

(Steph goes to speak but stops herself)

Steph
Is that all the letter reads sister?
(Places a supportive hand on Eloise's shoulder)

Eloise
Well just that and...

Eve
I will be delighted to meet you all in person - kindest regards, Lady Evelyn Spencer.

Steph
Quick quick we must get ready! Please style my hair!

Eloise
An afternoon out of the house! I can't wait!

Stephanie hastily jumps up and exists stage left, closely followed by her sister, leaving William alone on stage.

William
Well. I suppose I should fetch my own toast then!

Eve finishes writing, folds the paper in half and sighs calmly. Gets up from her desk and walks to centre stage.

————————

Welcome to the start of: Wives of War

For those who aren't use to reading a play script, everything in Italics or (Brackets) is a stage direction. These are notes from the director to the Actor on how to perform or where to go on stage!
These will help you, the reader, to understanding the characters intentions and spacing

 These are notes from the director to the Actor on how to perform or where to go on stage! These will help you, the reader, to understanding the characters intentions and spacing

Here if what the staging looked like.

Stage Right and Stage Left, refers to the Actors left and right so for the audience it is flipped.

Also with a play, each scene flows directly into one another, so it might be worth rereading the end Of each chapter before the next scene.

Thank you for reading!
- AMG