Scene 3

Scene 3

Eve prepares tea in the study stage right, whilst Marie Preston enters stage left. Marie Preston is a slightly lower class young woman, dressed in a long black shirt and plain long sleeved black top. Her hair is down but not as neatly placed as the other characters.
Marie currently works in Mr Duntons Factory where she is paid only just enough to make a living. Although an intelligent girl, she has made mistakes and isn't afraid to use her voice.

Marie
Oh hello there! 
(Wipes her hand down her skirt before offering it out)
I'm Marie Preston.

Maggie
(Takes hands in a firm handshake and a smile)
Maggie Harris

Eve
Oh Marie! Here just on time, please come and sit down. Where are my manners, Marie this is Maggie, Maggie this is Marie.

Marie
Hello, yes, er we just seem to have met
(they nervously laugh)

Eve
Do take a seat!
I invited Maggie to give her a break from all her children, she has three! And to add to that she's all by herself at the moment!

Marie
Three?!

Maggie
They're quite the handful sometimes!

Eve
Why Marie, you must be at least 19 now, aren't you thinking about starting a family soon?

Marie
No, well I...., I I'm at the factory all day, I don't think I have time for any of that

Eve
Oh, a shame, can I get you anything, a refreshment, perhaps some wine?
She looks over to Marie

Marie
Wine? I can't... I mean no, no thank you

Maggie
(Notices Marie's reaction)
Not for me thank you, the children are enough of a headache (laughs)

Eve
Not to worry, tea instead.
(she exists swiftly to her study, stage right)

There is a silence before Marie speaks. She looks back and forth, checking to see if the coast is clear.

Marie
You don't 'appen to know why we're 'ere ,do you?
Marie is slightly panicked

Maggie
I haven't the slightest idea! I believe Lady Evelyn called it a grief group? Just a chance for us women to get together and talk about you know....the war.

Marie
Softly she speaks
It's just thought this was a place I could get some help

Maggie
Are you okay? Are you in some kind of trouble?

Marie
Um yes... I'm having a baby

Maggie
Oh wonderful, congratulations!
Maggie beams with excitement and places a friendly hand on Marie's knee

Marie
No it's not wonderful, I've got no one to take care of me, I'm not even married I don't know what to do

Maggie
It's okay, I understand. Becoming a mother can be scary but it's not as bad as they say it is. Does the father know? Oh do you know the father?

Marie
I do, yes

Maggie
Okay. Deep breathes. I promise you'll be okay. Your secret is safe with me

Marie
Thank you

Maggie gently squeezes Marie's shoulder in a caring way. This kind guesture overwhelms Marie and she throws herself into Maggies arms to embrace in a tight hug. Maggie is shocked at first but quickly returns the embrace.

Eve enters back in promptly, interrupting the conversation, Marie stands abruptly

Eve
Sorry am I interrupting something!?
I'm glad you two are getting more acquainted but one would assume due to the hush you are sharing some grand secret!

Marie
No, nothing of the sort

Maggie
I was just... asking Marie about her work at the factory.

Eve
I'm sure. Don't be embarrassed, we all have secrets haven't we.

Eve laughs and Maggie and Marie share a concerned look.

————————