four

MESS IT UP
ACT FOUR! - ' falling again '
date - 01 / 08 / 2022

THE TIME THE TWO HAD set up over text arrived quicker than daisy would've preferred, finding herself stressing over nearly everything last-minute

she smoothed her shirt with her palms for the hundredth time, tightening and then loosening her hair repetitively in the mirror before ultimately becoming exasperated, taking it down and letting it fall just past her collarbones.

she pulled her phone out of the pocket of her jeans, chewing on her lip as she read out the time.

7:32

she was supposed to meet gracie at 7:45. the coffee shop was 15 minutes away. she was wasting time she didn't have.

she grabbed her bag from the side table, casting herself one last glance in the mirror as she muttered to herself, frustrated she was getting this worked up about something she chalked down to be utterly stupid.

she slipped out the door, locking it behind her before walking the few steps out to her car, the california heat blazing against her already flushed skin.

she slid into the drivers seat, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel as she debated bailing on gracie.

though she agreed it served her right, she found herself starting the car and pulling out of her driveway nonetheless.

she knew the way to the cafe by heart, but with each passing minute she felt like turning the car around, an overwhelming sense of regret creeping up her spine making her grimace.

she pulled into the cafe's parking lot, turning off the ignition and stepping out, pulling her bag closer to her side as she took a deep breath for reassurance, walking towards the door.

the chimes above the door clattered together noisily as she opened it, causing the barista to look at her, flashing her a gleaming grin that showed off her septum.

"dais! it's great to see you again!" she smiles genuinely, daisy slightly wincing at the accidental mention of her lack of social contact in the past few months.

she gave her a sorry smile, walking to the counter. "it's great to see you too stas, how's it going?" she asks, anastasia giving her a shrug in response.

"i mean same old in my life, but i did talk to greg and he brought back the matcha and almond croissants so it's going great here." she laughs, flashing a quick hand gesture towards the array of baked goods, bringing up the conversation her and daisy had about her irritation of her manager getting rid of her favourite after-work snack.

daisy smiled, more genuinely this time. "he brought back the almond? my day has been made." she grins, anastasia mirroring it.

"i get off work in a bit, want to go out for drinks later?" she asks, and suddenly daisy remembers why she's here in the first place, her mood darkening a bit.