Chapter 9

Love, if you're wings are broken,
Borrow mine so yours can open
Too,
Cause I'm gonna stand by you.

And truth,
I guess truth is what you belive in.
And faith,
I guess faith is half in reason.
And now, my love
If your wings are broken, please take mine so yours can open too,
Cause I'm gonna stand by you.

Even if you're breaking down,
We can find a way to break through
Even if we cant find Heaven,
I'll walk through Hell with you.
Love, you're not alone,
Cause I'm gonna stand by you!

|Stand by You ~Rachel Platten|

Though it was slow going, Itachi and I were finally beginning to warm up to each other. A simple brushing of hands against one another or a small smile was all it took to get my heart a flutter, and to spread warmth through my soul. And even though I had tried to not give in to my childish feelings, I couldn't help it. Oddly enough it felt good to love someone. To actually care for the man I had married. Even when it seemed that he had no love for me in return, all it took was a smile from Itachi to give me the assurance that I meant more to him than he said.

We continued our journey, Itachi and Kisame having more missions to carry out for the Akatsuki, but first the two were ordered to return to the hideout to receive further instruction and to rest and recuperate before they continued on their next mission. However, I also was aware of the fact that Itachi and Kisame had informed their leader of my presence, and I also knew that their leader was very curious about me. And while I too, was curious about the leader of the Akatsuki, I was also scared. If the Akatsuki suspected me of anything.......

There was the high possibility that they would kill me.

While I knew that Itachi would protect me from most things, I was sure that he wouldn't go against the wishes of the organization he worked for. I knew full well that the Uchiha did not care for me enough to actually risk his life for me. I didn't mean that much to him. Just because I had begun to love Itachi, didn't mean that Itachi loved me in return. At least.......not enough to give his life for me. But of course, then again, like with all things.....in certain lights, Itachi really did seem gentle, a certain kindness in his eyes that seemed to be reserved for me and me alone. A little smile that would come upon his lips each time he looked at me, that warmed my heart.

I smiled, looking up at the sakura trees that blossomed overhead. Their pink petals swirled in the wind, sending a flood of memories through my mind. My thoughts wandering over the happy moments I'd once shared with the person I had used to love so much. Fingering the chain around my neck, I looked over at Itachi, who kept pace, slightly ahead of me. The two of us hadn't spoken all day and I couldn't help but wonder if Itachi was angry with me. Maybe it was silly to be so self-conscious and worried about offending him, but.......I couldn't help it. At one time I had been able to to be myself around Itachi. Free from the worried of being judged or humiliated. But now........it felt as though I was walking on glass. Forced to tread softly or else it would shatter. No longer could I be who I truly was on the inside, able to share my hopes and dreams with the person closest to me. Not unless I wanted my heart broken. My dreams shattered and used against me. Their fragments slicing though me like cut glass.

Sighing, my eyes lingered on Itachi, unable to tear my gaze away. Tears pricked at my eyes as bittersweet memories and broken promises resurfaced, sending the familiar twist of pain in my heart. Itachi had meant so much to me.......and.....I to him, but how could I trust someone like that after what they had done? Even though Itachi had apologized, and my love for him had begun to return, I wasn't prepared to give my soul freely to Itachi. I couldn't allow my heart to get broken again.