Chapter 12

We were just kids when we fell in love~
Fighting against all odds~
I will not give you up this time~

Darling just take it slow~
Your heart is all I own~
And in your eyes you're holding
Mine~

Baby, I'm~
Dancing in the dark~
With you between my arms~
Barefoot on the grass,
Listening to our favorite song~

I have faith in what I see.
And I know I have met an Angel
In person,
And she looks, perfect
Tonight~

   ~|Perfect~ Ed Sheeran ◇|

~(Itachi's point of view)~

Hinata's fingers were laced with mine, her touch warming my heart. She looked upon me with so much love in her eyes, it hurt to know that I must leave her behind. That the two of us would never have the life together that we had dreamnt about as children. Guilt weighed heavily on my heart constantly, the scars on my soul reopened. I felt horrible for what I was doing to Hinata, but as much as I told her to leave she refused. Her love for me so great, that she'd rather suffer so much pain than leave me. In a way I was greatful for how faithful she was to me, but I couldn't bear the pain I was putting her through.

I looked over at my wife, my heart clenching as my eyes met her lavender orbs. Hinata's eyes shown with joy and pure bliss, as though she was dancing on starlight rather than trudging through hell for love. I still couldn't belive how strong Hinata was to go through all that pain and suffering all on her own. It was astonishing that Hinata hadn't given up. Hadn't lost the will to continue. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for her to be constantly burdened with the truth that she had married a murderer. Constantly plagued with the memory of my clan's blood spilt on the ground by my own hands. How it must of haunted her, eating away at her from the inside. But Hinata still hadn't given up. She had never lost the will to survive.

And I couldn't help but admire her greatly for it.

Through it all, I had tried my hardest to protect her, in any way I could. Ultimately I had failed miserably at being a good husband, but I did what little I could offer her through my own selfish desires. Whether or not she knew about my interference at the chunin exams was unknown to me, nor was I sure if she knew that it was I who had dealt with that dog-faced brute who'd tried to attack her. And maybe it was best if she didn't know. Especially since it would mean admitting the truth that she hadn't gotten to jounin on her own like she would have liked.

"Is something wrong, Itachi?" Hinata's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Her eyes were narrowed in concern, the light fading from them ever so slightly.

I shook my head. "It's nothing."

Hinata pursed her lips, but she said nothing. I knew that she didn't belive me. Several moments of silence followed, each minute passing by with greater intensity than that of the last, until finally Hinata spoke.

"I really don't like it when you lie to me, Itachi." Hinata whispered, looking up at me with so much pain and sorrow in her eyes, it felt like a million knives to my heart. I loved her so very much, it hurt to see her in so much pain.

I sighed. "Hinata, I-"

"Please don't lie." Hinata interrupted, her voice bearly above a whisper, and cracking with unshed tears. "I love you, Itachi. And for you to lie to me, hurts more than anything, so please! Don't lie."

I smiled sadly, brushing my thumb against Hinata's cheek. "I'm alright. Just a little lost in thought, that's all."

Hinata shuddered. "You smile at yet there's no joy behind it. If there's something wrong, you need to tell me!"