Chapter 15

♡♤♡

I just wanna, I just wanna know~
If You're gonna, if you're gonna stay~
I just gotta, I just gotta know~

I can't have it, I can't have it
Any other way
I swear she's destined for the screen.

Closest thing to Michelle Pffeifer that you ever seen,
Oh~

Lady, comin' down to the riptide,
Taken away to the dark side,
I wanna be your left hand man.

I love you, when you're singing that song and~
I gotta lump in my throat cause
You're gonna sing the words wrong~♡

    ~~ |Riptide~ Vance Joy|

(Itachi's pov)

I knew. Hinata didn't have to tell me for me to know that Hanabi's hostility hurt her more than she had said. I understood what it was like to have one's sibling bear such a deep hatred towards you, and....my heart ached for Hinata. She had always cared so deeply for Hanabi, and I remembered how close a bond they shared even as children. It was horrible to watch Hinata have to suffer with the truth that Hanabi no longer cared for her. That Hanabi had cast Hinata aside like the rest of the Hyūga clan.

Of course, I had expected nothing less. Hanabi had had long enough to let the disappearance of Hinata connect with the Akatsuki. The Leaf village had long since suspected Hinata of being a traitor ever since her marrige with me became public. It was silly of course, for the Leaf to suspect and eleven year old girl of having aided me int the extermination of my clan. But then again...none of them had expected me to murder my own family. But for someone not dealing with the pain....It wasn't the council who had seen first hand the blood that had painted the streets that night. It wasn't them....even if they had ordered it.

They just wanted to divert as much attention away from themselves as the possibly could. Even if it meant throwing Hinata to the wolves as well.

However, I knew that Hinata would have to face Hanabi again. It was likely that Hanabi would have more of a drive than the rest of Konaha in Hinata's capture seeing as it was more personal. It was also likely that while Hinata would do her best to try to explain to Hanabi the truth, her words would only fall on deaf ears. Leaving Hinata with nothing but a blade in her gut. That is...if Hinata didn't strike first...

But to kill her own sister? While I had been able to harden my heart enough to murder my parents, I didn't prepare myself for how guilty I'd felt looking into the terrified eyes of my otoutou. Instead of running my blade through his flesh, I scarred him for life with the visions of his family dying over and over again through my genjutsu. A fate worse than death.....it honestly would have been more merciful to kill him then and there. And yet......

Despite being a member of the ANBU, trained to be unfeeling, I couldn't find the strength to end it all for Sasuke. Instead of leaving him to suffer...

I should have ended myself too...

Shaking my head, I pushed my thoughts aside. Every day felt like a fight to go on. Telling myself over and over that I could not end my existence just yet. As much as I wanted to die, I knew that my work was not yet finished. I had promised my parents that I would take care of Sasuke so they could rest in peace. And then there's Hinata...

Before Hinata had entered my life again, protecting Sasuke had been my only reason for living. But now...

"Itachi?"

My heart lept at the sound of Hinata's voice, my cheeks warming as I meant her bright gaze.

"Hn?" I resisted the urge to pull Hinata into my arms and hold her close.