Chapter 14

I was relieved when our time in the Hidden Rain was finally over. We left first thing the next morning, not speaking of what had happened at the shrine. A tension had settled between us, and what made it worse was that it wasn't Itachi's fault all. It was mine. As usual I had crossed the line, that I knew should never be crossed. And yet I did it anyway, despite the fact that it hurt Itachi more than I could imagine. He was just doing his job. Fighting to survive in the only way he could. He has no where else to go.....

And I knew that too. Itachi had had all his honor stripped of him the moment he had spilt the first drops of Uchiha blood the night of massacre. But not just his honor....but his home...his family.... They'd been cruelly ripped from him all because some old powerful men didn't want to deal with their own problems. So instead, Itachi was now forced to live a life of bloodshed. Having no choice but to spill innocent blood.

My gaze wandered over to my husband, his bangs a dark curtain over his porcelain complexion. Charcoal lashes dark smudges against his cheeks as they fluttered over his skin. I couldn't help but flinch as his crimson gaze slid to me, his sharingan blazing bright. Even though it had become usual to see him with his eyes glowing crimson, but for some reason I found it unsettling. Beautiful, and yet...terrifying.

Itachi's eyes held a melancholy light in their crimson pools. I realized too late what it meant for me to flinch under his gaze. Hinata, you idiot!

"I'm sorry..." I whispered. "I–"

"Shh." Itachi hushed me softly. "It's alright, Hinata. There's no need to apologize. You haven't done anything wrong."

I opened my mouth to protest, but one glance from Itachi made me shut my mouth again. Though I hated to admit it, Itachi really had a way of making my voice catch in my throat. He never wanted me to blame myself for anything, even if it was my fault in the first place. Itachi would always find some sort of way to place the blame on himself. Of course, the reasons he made up as cause to blame himself were usually ridiculous, and made little sense at all. But apparently that made no difference to Itachi. He just wanted to have yet another way of drowning himself in guilt he didn't deserve.

"No." I stopped, my eyes transfixed on the ground beneath my feet, as I stood rooted to the spot. Itachi paused and turned to look at me, his red eyes burning with curiosity.

"What?" Itachi muttered, his brow furrowed in confusion.

"I was in the wrong." Forcing myself to look up at Itachi, I balled my hands into fists. "It's my fault that I can't put my trust into anyone, not even my own husband. That's just cowardice on my part. I—"

"Hush." A soft growl purred from Itachi's throat as he dissapered, only to reappear just inches from where I was standing. He placed a long thin finger on my lips, the gentle touch of his skin sending ice through my veins.

A small smile briefly flashed over Itachi's features, before hardening again into the perpetually frozen face of someone who's soul had been broken to many times to count. The only hint of his pure heart stayed in his eyes. Barely visible, but still there, buried beneath the bloody pools of the sharingan.

"All that you were, are, and are to be is all I could possibly ever want." Itachi whispered finally, his breath hot against my skin. "I love you Hinata. Not who you wish, or think you should be."

Oh, Itachi...

I let my gaze drop, shrinking away slightly as a hot flush dusted my cheeks. For some reason, a deep feeling of shame settled im my gut. Itachi truly was too kind for this world, and especially too kind for someone like me. And yet when it came to it, I couldn't let him go. Even though I obviously was not good enough for someone like Itachi, I wasn't going to make it worse by pushing him away. For I knew deep in my heart that if I were to push him away......